[anic] Visualization

aperotte

May 21, 2010, 7:09:14 PM5/21/10
to anic
Hi all,

The anic project/language looks fantastic. Thanks ultimus!

Is there a plan for a 2D or 3D graphics library? I think it would be
great to see an ide with code/graph visualization. I can imagine
using the keyboard via keybindings to directly manipulate the graph
instead instead of writing code.

-Adler

Adrian

May 21, 2010, 7:25:06 PM5/21/10
to anic
On May 21, 7:09 pm, aperotte <apero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The anic project/language looks fantastic.  Thanks ultimus!

It's good to know the work's being appreciated ;).

> Is there a plan for a 2D or 3D graphics library?  I think it would be
> great to see an ide with code/graph visualization.  I can imagine
> using the keyboard via keybindings to directly manipulate the graph
> instead instead of writing code.

I definitely see graphics libraries in the future, though currently
most of the work being done is on the compiler. anic does a lot of
work in the background to make sure that the language can be neat and
clean for the programmer.

Of course, graphics is a field that lends itself naturally to massive
implicit concurrency, so I'm sure once the compiler's done, someone
will come up with bindings to OpenGL, for example. I would highly
encourage and support this any way I can, but unfortunately, my
expertise is in compilers and not graphics.

I definitely like your idea with the ANI-specific keyboard bindings,
though. This has actually crossed my mind several times, and it should
be clear from the syntax of the language that ANI code logically looks
very much like a graph traversal. The heavy use of punctuation also
shows that ANI programs are intended to be thought of as abstract flow
networks rather than the pseudo-natural language text that many other
languages try to go for. So it looks like there would be a lot of
interesting stuff that could be done for an ANI-specific IDE. Once
again, I would support this work to the best of my ability, but I'm
not an expert in UIs, either.

In any case, stay tuned. Version 1.0 is nearing completion, and I'm
excited for people to get to try out the language/compiler ;).
-Adrian (project lead)

Daniel Kersten

May 22, 2010, 12:22:20 AM5/22/10
to ult...@gmail.com, anic
I think I mentioned it before, but sometime in the future, when ANI is compilling and running well and has the most important libraries written, I definitely intend on writing visual tools for the language. I haven't put any thought into what exactly, but its definitely something I would like to work on when the time comes.
--
Daniel Kersten.
Leveraging dynamic paradigms since the synergies of 1985.

aperotte

May 24, 2010, 6:11:23 AM5/24/10
to anic
Fantastic! I look forward to it! I am not a graphics expert but I do
have some understanding of cognitive psychology. I'd be interested in
throwing in my 2c and testing things as they progress (at the very
least).

-Adler