A few questions about ANI and anic

Dudley

Nov 12, 2010, 5:12:28 PM11/12/10
to anic
A co-worker sent me a link to the main page, and the language looks
pretty cool. I just had some questions.

Does ANI have support for files and sockets? I see it has support for
standard out from the tutorial, but the others are not explicitly
mentioned (at least that I can find).

What kind of error handling does it support? In the one other data
flow language I have used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
LabVIEW#Dataflow_programming ) errors are coupled with the data and
flow along with it.

And a minor annoyance to me, why is it licensed under GPL as opposed
to an MIT or FreeBSD style license?

Thanks for your time and good luck with ANI. It looks promising.

Sincerely,
Dudley

Daniel Kersten

Nov 12, 2010, 9:20:09 PM11/12/10
to dudle...@gmail.com, anic
Welcome to the group.

I'll try and answer your questions.

On 12 November 2010 22:12, Dudley <dudle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A co-worker sent me a link to the main page, and the language looks
> pretty cool. I just had some questions.
>
> Does ANI have support for files and sockets? I see it has support for
> standard out from the tutorial, but the others are not explicitly
> mentioned (at least that I can find).

Short answer is yes. Or, at least, it will. ANI is still a work in
progress and the compiler is not yet complete. Once the compiler is
able to produce working executables, the next big step is working on
the runtime library, which will, of course, include file I/O and
sockets.

> What kind of error handling does it support? In the one other data
> flow language I have used (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> LabVIEW#Dataflow_programming ) errors are coupled with the data and
> flow along with it.

Adrian will have to answer this. We talked about it before, but I
don't remember details. You could try searching the other messages on
this list.

> And a minor annoyance to me, why is it licensed under GPL as opposed
> to an MIT or FreeBSD style license?

I imagine that this license applies to the compiler. I'm sure the
runtime will be something more suited for a runtime, like MIT or GPL
with runtime exception. I think GPL is a fair enough license for the
compiler though.