Moved to GitHub

rym...@gmail.com

Mar 12, 2015, 5:43:03 PM3/12/15
to ani-co...@googlegroups.com
Google Code is dead, and I didn't want anic to disappear forever. So I moved it.

A repo has been set up at GitHub. I moved the home page over; the wiki still needs to be moved (Google Code's exporter didn't do it for some stupid reason) and the home page links updated. Any help with the wiki would be deeply appreciated.

I also already downloaded the logo and will upload it shortly.

Just posting here so you guys know...

Duane Johnson

Mar 12, 2015, 5:58:20 PM3/12/15
to rym...@gmail.com, anic
Excellent. Thanks for doing that!

Ultimus Freelance

Mar 12, 2015, 7:59:57 PM3/12/15
to rym...@gmail.com, anic
As the author, I'll have to ask you to take the GitHub code down.

In particular I haven't agreed to release the code under any particular GitHub-compatible license.

Thanks.

Ryan

Mar 12, 2015, 10:23:28 PM3/12/15
to Ultimus Freelance, anic
So you're the author that disappeared for half a century?

Are you planning on moving it yourself? Google Code is going down really soon.

You could at least have put a smiley face in your message, considering the fact that I put a lot of effort into that to keep your project from disappearing into space... :(
Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/

Rob Bird

Mar 12, 2015, 10:44:31 PM3/12/15
to ani-co...@googlegroups.com
And this claim is validateable how?

Mark Henderson

Mar 12, 2015, 11:38:18 PM3/12/15
to ani-co...@googlegroups.com
Adrian - Good to hear from you. Hopefully you'll find something suitable. It'd be nice to see the code find a new home. Thanks.

Toby St Clere Smithe

Mar 13, 2015, 4:47:02 AM3/13/15
to Ultimus Freelance, rym...@gmail.com, anic
Ultimus Freelance <ult...@gmail.com> writes:
> As the author, I'll have to ask you to take the GitHub code down.
>
> In particular I haven't agreed to release the code under any particular
> GitHub-compatible license.

In the man page, you write that the software is licensed under GPLv3+,
which seems GitHub-compatible to me. Such licensing is a service to the
community, given the interesting ideas in anic.

From man/anic.1:

.SH COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2010 Kajetan "Adrian" Biedrzycki.
.PP
Licensed under GPLv3+ (GNU GPL version 3 or later). See <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> for details.
.PP

> Thanks.
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Duane Johnson <duane....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Excellent. Thanks for doing that!
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM, <rym...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Google Code is dead
>>> <http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html>,
>>> and I didn't want anic to disappear forever. So I moved it.
>>>
>>> A repo has been set up at GitHub <https://github.com/kirbyfan64/anic>. I
>>> moved the home page over; the wiki still needs to be moved (Google Code's
>>> exporter didn't do it for some stupid reason) and the home page links
>>> updated. Any help with the wiki would be deeply appreciated.
>>>
>>> I also already downloaded the logo and will upload it shortly.
>>>
>>> Just posting here so you guys know...
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --

Toby St Clere Smithe
http://tsmithe.net

Daniel Kersten

Mar 30, 2015, 1:25:32 PM3/30/15
to toby....@gmail.com, Ultimus Freelance, rym...@gmail.com, anic
I thought you could put whatever licence you wish on your GitHub repo. Couldn't it be put up with identical terms as it was before? As long as its properly attributed to Adrian so there's no confusion over who owns the repo/code/copyright, it should be the same as it was before then.

>>  --

Toby St Clere Smithe
http://tsmithe.net

Toby St Clere Smithe

Mar 30, 2015, 1:30:29 PM3/30/15
to Daniel Kersten, Ultimus Freelance, rym...@gmail.com, anic
Daniel Kersten <dker...@gmail.com> writes:
> I thought you could put whatever licence you wish on your GitHub repo.

You can, but you still ought to follow the law..

> Couldn't it be put up with identical terms as it was before? As long as its
> properly attributed to Adrian so there's no confusion over who owns the
> repo/code/copyright, it should be the same as it was before then.

That's not really how copyright works. When you receive some copyrighted
work, you receive it under the terms of some licence, which determines
how you may or may not redistribute it. Putting up a new GitHub
repository is redistribution, and so one has to observe the terms of the
licence under which it was originally distributed.

In this case, the licence is GPLv3+, which means that it can be
redistributed as long as the redistribution fulfils the conditions of
the GPLv3(+).

>> --
>> Toby St Clere Smithe
>> http://tsmithe.net

Daniel Kersten

Apr 6, 2015, 6:24:10 PM4/6/15
to Toby St Clere Smithe, Ultimus Freelance, rym...@gmail.com, anic
Right, I was talking purely in the context of ANI, not copyright in general. Since ANI was released under an open source license to begin with, I don't see how hosting it under the same license someplace else would go against the terms of the license.

But, if Adrian doesn't want it, then I guess its between him and OP.