Starting our Study - Group Brilliant (Ulises, Kevin Noonan, Jamie Fraser & Me)

Rick Moynihan

Jul 19, 2010, 7:09:49 AM7/19/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how to try and kick things off, so I thought I'd start a
thread for our group.

We've all said we can do Wednesday evenings... So I propose we try and
get started this Wednesday.

Perhaps the best approach is for us to ignore SICP for the first
meeting, and concentrate on Setting up Clojure & its environment (I
can help with this), introducing ourselves, and outlining what we want
to do at the next meeting.

Can the members of this group please reply to this thread about
whether this is a goer. I suggest a 7pm skype call though I can do
earlier or later.

You can find me on skype as:

rickmoynihan

Please respond with your skype usernames, and whether you can make
this Wednesday (21st) at 7pm, or if another time is more suitable.

R.

Ulises

Jul 19, 2010, 8:47:52 AM7/19/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rick and group Brilliant members!

> Perhaps the best approach is for us to ignore SICP for the first
> meeting, and concentrate on Setting up Clojure & its environment (I
> can help with this), introducing ourselves, and outlining what we want
> to do at the next meeting.

Sounds like a great idea.

> Can the members of this group please reply to this thread about
> whether this is a goer.  I suggest a 7pm skype call though I can do
> earlier or later.

I can't make it this Wed (sorry) and it looks like I won't be able to
start attending the meetings until August. I am happy for you to get
started though. I will try to set up the clojure environment myself
and if I run into trouble I will ping you here. Can you please provide
a list of things to install/configure for our devenv?

> You can find me on skype as:

Added. You can find me as: ulises.cervino

Cheers!

Kevin Noonan

Jul 19, 2010, 5:38:38 PM7/19/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

This Wednesday, I'll be doing a short 'phone interview at 7:30pm.

8pm would be fine for the Skype call.

In general, I'd be happy with Wednesdays at 7:30pm or later, except
that there's a local Python user-group once a month (although I don't
always attend).

My username: kevin_noonan.

I already have Clojure installed on more than one machine.

To get started, I suggest: install Java (JDK 1.5 or later).

Then use "Leiningen" (google for it): download the "self-install"
script (or follow the alternate instructions if you're on Windows).

Ciao,

Kevin.

Rick Moynihan

Jul 19, 2010, 8:07:19 PM7/19/10
On 19 July 2010 22:38, Kevin Noonan <kno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This Wednesday, I'll be doing a short 'phone interview at 7:30pm.
>
> 8pm would be fine for the Skype call.

Ok. It's a little more inconvenient for me, but I can probably manage it.

> In general, I'd be happy with Wednesdays at 7:30pm or later, except
> that there's a local Python user-group once a month (although I don't
> always attend).
>
> My username: kevin_noonan.
>
> I already have Clojure installed on more than one machine.
>

> To get started, I suggest: install Java (JDK 1.5 or later).

> Then use "Leiningen" (google for it): download the "self-install"
> script (or follow the alternate instructions if you're on Windows).

Yes, I agree. The best way to hack Clojure code is with Emacs/SLIME
and leiningen, or cljr. Any other way, misses too much goodness
(SLIME is a reason to use Emacs). Having run clojure dojos here in
Dundee I've found Netbeans Enclojure and the other IDE's to be poor in
terms of REPL integration.

As I said earlier; Cljr is pretty cool it's an integrated clojure REPL
and package manager; built on top of leiningen. It's great for when
you don't have a project (and just want a decent REPL.... with access
to lein packages.

http://github.com/liebke/cljr

With SICP, I'd be surprised if we used any dependencies other than
possibly contrib, so cljr is probably an even easier option than
lein... though lein is an equally good choice, cljr comes with swank
clojure (slime integration) out of the box.

R.

Ulises

Jul 20, 2010, 12:35:48 PM7/20/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
> Yes, I agree.  The best way to hack Clojure code is with Emacs/SLIME
> and leiningen, or cljr.  Any other way, misses too much goodness
> (SLIME is a reason to use Emacs).  Having run clojure dojos here in
> Dundee I've found Netbeans Enclojure and the other IDE's to be poor in
> terms of REPL integration.

Does anybody have a tutorial/howto on how to setup such devenv? I've
tried following http://data-sorcery.org/2009/12/20/getting-started/
however I didn't get much love. Thoughts?

Rick Moynihan

Jul 20, 2010, 12:47:56 PM7/20/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com

What platform are you on?

R.

Ulises

Jul 20, 2010, 12:53:08 PM7/20/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
> What platform are you on?

OS X

Rick Moynihan

Jul 20, 2010, 7:52:37 PM7/20/10
On 20 July 2010 17:53, Ulises <ulises....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What platform are you on?
>
> OS X

Okay, IIRC:

1) Follow the instructions for cljr:

http://github.com/liebke/cljr

This should give you a slime connectable repl.

2) Get Emacs for OS X

(Forget Aquamacs - it's garbage)

http://emacsformacosx.com/

3) Install ELPA (The Emacs Package Management System -- this will be
part of Emacs 24)

http://tromey.com/elpa/install.html

Copy the code from that page (the emacs 22 code is fine) into the
scratch buffer, and evaluate it by pressing C-j (CTRL j) on the
closing paren.

4) Press M-x package-list-packages (M-x means hold Meta (usually Alt)
and press x then type package-list-packages

5) Scroll down and select the latest clojure-mode press i (for
install) followed by x (for execute). (ignore warnings)

6) Repeat above for slime and slime-repl and clojure-test-mode (ignore
swank-clojure - you have that through cljr) (ignore warnings)

7) Things should now be installed.

To test:

In a terminal start a swank replm server

$ cljr swank

In Emacs type M-x slime-connect, you should now be connected to the
repl.... If Clojure mode isn't running in your buffer you can enable
it each time by typing M-x clojure-mode, alternatively you can lookup
how to add a hook to do this to your .emacs.d/init.el file.

You can send code snippets from the editor to the repl with C-x e ,
C-M-x and many more...

You may also want to install leiningen should you need to define
projects with their own sets of dependencies:

http://github.com/technomancy/leiningen

Hope this helps, let me know if you have problems.

R.

Kevin Noonan

Jul 21, 2010, 4:17:06 AM7/21/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
A fairly old tutorial, but it covers installing Clojure on Mac OS X:

http://mark.reid.name/sap/setting-up-clojure.html

(Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac-user.)

Ulises

Jul 21, 2010, 4:50:33 AM7/21/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the replies. I will try getting my env up and running
and I'll let you know how it went. Thanks for your patience :)

Ulises

Jul 21, 2010, 5:50:36 AM7/21/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I followed Rick's steps and I have my env. up and running
(somewhat). When I try to connect (slime-connect) I get the following
message:

Versions differ: nil (slime) vs. 20100404 (swank). Continue? (y or n)

Answering 'y' continues and everything seems to work ok. The other
difference is that the keybindings don't work, but I guess I can
figure these out myself. One more thing though, when compiling the
package slime-repl it threw one error (which I didn't copy so I can't
paste).

Cheers for your help guys,

Matt Wynne

Jul 21, 2010, 5:51:59 AM7/21/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Chaps, please can you get a room? You're making me jealous (and spaming my inbox!)

cheers,
Matt

http://blog.mattwynne.net
+44(0)7974 430184

Kevin Noonan

Jul 21, 2010, 6:10:11 AM7/21/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

If we completely fragment by group, "Anglo-Celt" has no future.

If you don't want to read posts from the other groups, I suggest you
apply a mail-filter.

As a courtesy--and to enable mail-filters--everyone should include
"Group XYZ" in the subject-line of posts meant for his own group.

Sorry about the noise!

Kevin.

Ulises

Jul 21, 2010, 6:12:04 AM7/21/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
> As a courtesy--and to enable mail-filters--everyone should include
> "Group XYZ" in the subject-line of posts meant for his own group.

I, for one, won't be doing that as I suspect that there will be some
emails which contain relevant information to all groups (for instance,
Rick's step-by-step guide to get the devenv ready may be of use to the
other groups wanting to use clojure).

I apologise too for the noise created :(

Matt Wynne

Jul 21, 2010, 6:13:36 AM7/21/10

On 21 Jul 2010, at 11:10, Kevin Noonan wrote:

> Matt,
>
> If we completely fragment by group, "Anglo-Celt" has no future.

Fair point, sorry for whining.

> If you don't want to read posts from the other groups, I suggest you
> apply a mail-filter.
>
> As a courtesy--and to enable mail-filters--everyone should include
> "Group XYZ" in the subject-line of posts meant for his own group.
>
> Sorry about the noise!
>
> Kevin.

cheers,

Rick Moynihan

Jul 21, 2010, 6:22:55 AM7/21/10
On 21 July 2010 10:51, Matt Wynne <ma...@mattwynne.net> wrote:
> Chaps, please can you get a room? You're making me jealous (and spaming my inbox!)

As I started the thread, I thought I should chime in. I did debate
emailing people separately, but I figured the thread would be of
interest to the wider community; and perhaps motivate other groups.

If things go quiet on the mailing list, people assume things are dead
- and it's fallen through. Also if groups know what others are doing
and how they're organising themselves, then we can all learn more
efficiently.

Consequently, I'm not too concerned about spamming peoples inbox with
what is likely relevant information to many.

R.

Rick Moynihan

Jul 22, 2010, 5:46:34 AM7/22/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Well, despite all the chatting about it - I'm afraid I didn't get to
make the SICP study group call.

I had a surprise job offer for a job based in Manchester; as I live in
Dundee I've had to drop pretty much everything as I start on Monday!

Consequently, I'm not sure what day will suit me best anymore. Though
I'm still keen to go ahead with a SICP study group.

Apologies again for not making the call last night, did anyone manage it?

R.

Kevin Noonan

Jul 22, 2010, 8:14:53 AM7/22/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I was on Skype last night for about half-an-hour; I arrived late,
since my interview lasted longer than planned.

Let's try again in a fortnight. We can discuss which night would suit
best, once Rick has relocated.

(Rick, congratulations on the new job!)

Ciao,

Kevin.