Group Awesome Is No More

Stuart Ellis

Jul 27, 2010, 2:15:18 PM7/27/10
to Anglo-Celt SICP Study Group
Hi,

Due to no-shows and a withdrawal this group is now down to one member, so I guess that it can be called deceased.

I'd love to continue, though, so if there is a spare place in one of the evening groups, please let me know.

Stuart

---
Stuart Ellis
stu...@stuartellis.eu

Kevin Noonan

Jul 27, 2010, 3:15:58 PM7/27/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com

Stuart,

Join the other Clojure group, Brilliant. We're going to arrange a Skype call next week (probably Wed evening).

Regards,

Kevin.

Stuart Ellis

Jul 28, 2010, 3:22:29 AM7/28/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com

Thanks - I've reread the thread and 7:30 is no problem.

My Skype username is: stuartellis10.

Stuart Ellis

Aug 4, 2010, 2:56:23 PM8/4/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is this running today?

I've pinged Rick on Skype but not yet had a reply.

Regards,

Stuart

---
Stuart Ellis
stu...@stuartellis.eu

Kevin Noonan

Aug 4, 2010, 4:31:23 PM8/4/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

Sorry, we should have arranged a meeting on Skype for this week.

I was hoping to hear if Rick was settled and ready to take part.

(I've started reading SICP, by-the-way.)

Regards,

Kevin.

Stuart Ellis

Aug 4, 2010, 5:44:14 PM8/4/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com

OK, no problem.

FWIW, I have read 1.1, watched the video of the first lecture and started to watch the second lecture, but I don't want to jump ahead too much.

I found that the text of the book was a lot easier to follow after watching the lecture. I actually used the "iPod" MP4 versions of the videos from here:

http://www.archive.org/details/SICP_4_ipod

They are about 1/5 file size of the recordings from the main MIT site but are fine for desktop viewing - the slides and code examples are still readable.

---
Stuart Ellis
stu...@stuartellis.eu

Alan Gardner

Aug 4, 2010, 6:17:22 PM8/4/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Great tip, Stuart. I've been watching the MIT ones but think I'll try the MP4s out.

Cheers,

Alan

iPhone + sausage fingers - patience = brevity + typos ;)

Rick Moynihan

Aug 5, 2010, 5:15:02 AM8/5/10
On 4 August 2010 21:31, Kevin Noonan <kno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Sorry, we should have arranged a meeting on Skype for this week.
>
> I was hoping to hear if Rick was settled and ready to take part.

Hi all, apologies for being a little out of touch. Things my end are
still pretty hectic; as I've been finding a flat; and now have to
engage in the process of moving my stuff from Dundee, and fixing my
flat for rental.

The new jobs going pretty well, but lots to learn. I've been hacking
a bit of Erlang and Ejabberd.

Anyway, sadly I can't promise I'll be able to attend meetings for at
least the next month... but if you can keep me posted as to when they
are etc... I'll try and maybe drop in.

R.

Ulises

Aug 5, 2010, 3:56:49 PM8/5/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

>> Sorry, we should have arranged a meeting on Skype for this week.

I'm sort of on the same boat as Rick. I just started a new job, which
involves commuting during the times in which we'd have the meetings
and there's no inet on the train :/

I think that the best for me is to perhaps join a group that will meet
at a different time.

Cheers,

Kevin Noonan

Aug 7, 2010, 1:51:13 PM8/7/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com, Ulises
Hi guys,

On the plus side: several of us seem to be interested in reading SICP,
using Clojure and meeting as a book-group.

Three of us have started new jobs lately (including myself) and we've
been busy. In a couple of weeks, all of us should be more settled.

Ulises, if we met at 8:30pm, would that suit you better?

Can the rest of you make the meeting on Skype on a Wednesday at 8:30pm?

I don't know if the other groups are active--they're keeping it quiet
if they are. And I think we're the only remaining Clojure group on
Anglo-Celt.

Let's aim to meet on Wednesday, August 18th.

I suggest a meeting of about forty minutes to an hour (maximum).

And let's set the following goals to be carried out by that date:

* Set up a Clojure environment.

* Read as far as the end of section 1.1.6 (page 18 in an old paper
edition I inherited from the late Paul Foley RIP).

* And do exercises 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

(Fall back to Scheme if Clojure is posing too much of a difficulty at
the moment.)

Regards,

Kevin.

Alan Gardner

Aug 7, 2010, 2:12:24 PM8/7/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Group Deadly is still on the go although we were planning only to post our group meetups to the group. Apologies for the apparent radio silence. We were organising ourselves offline to prevent spamming the group. However, I think you guys have the right idea as, without the chatter, no-one knows if we are still live or not! Our first meetup is next Wednesday so you should hear a bit more from us then ;)

We're a Scheme group by the way. I think that you Group Brilliant are probably the only Clojure group but I could be wrong.

Any other groups still going?

Alan

Matt Wynne

Aug 7, 2010, 2:17:47 PM8/7/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
I missed the memo. Where are the groups defined?

Stuart Ellis

Aug 8, 2010, 6:01:49 AM8/8/10

On 7 Aug 2010, at 18:51, Kevin Noonan wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> On the plus side: several of us seem to be interested in reading SICP,
> using Clojure and meeting as a book-group.
>
> Three of us have started new jobs lately (including myself) and we've
> been busy. In a couple of weeks, all of us should be more settled.
>
> Ulises, if we met at 8:30pm, would that suit you better?
>
> Can the rest of you make the meeting on Skype on a Wednesday at 8:30pm?

> Let's aim to meet on Wednesday, August 18th.

> I suggest a meeting of about forty minutes to an hour (maximum).
>
> And let's set the following goals to be carried out by that date:
>
> * Set up a Clojure environment.
>
> * Read as far as the end of section 1.1.6 (page 18 in an old paper
> edition I inherited from the late Paul Foley RIP).
>
> * And do exercises 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.
>
> (Fall back to Scheme if Clojure is posing too much of a difficulty at
> the moment.)

That sounds like a good plan. Should we add Skype addresses to Paul's spreadsheet or post them?

FWIW, I've been using a PDF of the 2nd edition (copyright 1996) from the link on the resources page:

http://groups.google.com/group/anglo-celt-sicp-study-group/web/resources

Section 1.1.6 starts on p. 34 of this PDF, but I don't how much of that is actual changed material and how much is just the vagaries of the conversion.

Regards,

Ulises

Aug 8, 2010, 9:18:06 AM8/8/10
to Kevin Noonan, anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
> Ulises, if we met at 8:30pm, would that suit you better?

I just got me some mobile internet so I can still make the 7.30 call.
7pm would be better as I'm on the train and I arrive about 8pm, so if
we go for 7.30 then I can only join for about 30mins, but whatever
works best for the group really.

> * Set up a Clojure environment.
>
> * Read as far as the end of section 1.1.6 (page 18 in an old paper
> edition I inherited from the late Paul Foley RIP).
>
> * And do exercises 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

Will an hour be enough to do this or are we expected to read until
page 18 and do the exercises together?

Kevin Noonan

Aug 8, 2010, 9:20:14 AM8/8/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stuart,

[As I should have said earlier, this plan is for Group Brilliant, the
Clojure group scheduled to meet on We Aug 18th.]

> That sounds like a good plan. Should we add Skype addresses to Paul's spreadsheet or post them?

They've been posted earlier on the "Group Brilliant" thread started by
Rick. Mine is: kevin_noonan.

> Section 1.1.6 starts on p. 34 of this PDF

The paper copy I have is from 1987 ("5th printing"). Section 1.1.6
starts on page 16, but there are twenty pages (with Roman numerals)
before "page 1".

I suggest ignoring the preface, acknowledgements and foreword (for
now, at least).

I've also downloaded two copies in PDF format from the Web.

Regards,

Kevin.

Kevin Noonan

Aug 8, 2010, 9:52:55 AM8/8/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ulises, Stuart, Rick, Jamie (Group Brilliant),

I can go with 7pm on Wednesday 18th, if you agree.

Rick, if you can't make the meeting on the 18th, read through the
material so that you can join in the meetings later.

> Will an hour be enough to do this or are we expected to read until
> page 18 and do the exercises together?

Try to do the exercises in advance.

We haven't set an agenda for the meeting. Here's what I suggest:

* introductions. (5 min.)
* help one another with any dev. environment / setup issues. (5 min.)
* discuss any points of the material up to 1.1.6 we want to raise.
We don't have to go through it exhaustively. (15+ min.)
* Discuss solutions to the exercises. (15+ min.)

And we'll guillotine the meeting at one hour. We can finish sooner if
someone has to leave or when we've run through the agenda. If the
meetings drag on, it's less likely that we can carry on the
commitment.

Let's keep the atmosphere on the call supportive, helpful and collegiate.

Regards,

Kevin.

Ulises

Aug 8, 2010, 10:14:03 AM8/8/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
> I can go with 7pm on Wednesday 18th, if you agree.

Fine with me.

> We haven't set an agenda for the meeting. Here's what I suggest:
>
> * introductions. (5 min.)
> * help one another with any dev. environment / setup issues. (5 min.)
> * discuss any points of the material up to 1.1.6 we want to raise.
> We don't have to go through it exhaustively. (15+ min.)
> * Discuss solutions to the exercises. (15+ min.)

Sounds great. Thanks for organising this.

Kevin Noonan

Aug 8, 2010, 10:28:56 AM8/8/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys (Group Brilliant),

On reflection... Stuart, you're right. Let use the PDF on the group's
resources page:

http://groups.google.com/group/anglo-celt-sicp-study-group/web/resources

This will be the "canonical" text we'll follow.

This is just in case the exercises have changed, for example. We could
waste time arguing over an alternative solution when the problem
itself is defined differently in the later edition.

(Sorry for the volley of messages.)

Ciao,

Kevin.

Rick Moynihan

Aug 9, 2010, 4:53:55 AM8/9/10
On 8 August 2010 14:52, Kevin Noonan <kno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ulises, Stuart, Rick, Jamie (Group Brilliant),
>
> I can go with 7pm on Wednesday 18th, if you agree.
>
> Rick, if you can't make the meeting on the 18th, read through the
> material so that you can join in the meetings later.

Will do. Not sure if I'll be able to make the 18th, as I've still to
sort out broadband and move in fully to our new flat.

In other news; I now spend 2 days a week working out of the MADlab
(Manchester Digital Laboratory - A Hacklab - http://madlab.org.uk/
)... and I'm hoping to ask my pal, who's one of the founders if we can
use the space to run a SICP study group out of. Plus I'm planning on
(re)starting some clojuredojo's down here in the near future:

http://clojuredojo.com/

I'll keep the group informed on any developments.

R.

Ulises

Aug 11, 2010, 3:55:46 AM8/11/10
to anglo-celt-si...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for not making the call last evening. Apparently, mobile
internet is neither mobile nor internet :(

How are things progressing? I tried and installed the dev environment
and I believe to have it working and have done the exercises (though
in Scheme).