Third party submodules incorrectly deleted in angle git repo

Yuvraaj Kelkar

Aug 29, 2022, 12:39:02 AM8/29/22
to angleproject
Hi all,

I see a bunch of third party submodules in angle that don't seem to be deleted correctly.
I hit this problem while attempting to reproducibly clone the AOSP repo.
Before I submit a patch, I'd like to check if this is a known problem or if I'm missing something here.

Example error message:
```
Could not get list of submodules: external/angle:
Error fatal: No url found for submodule path 'third_party/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/src' in .gitmodules
```

Here's the list of submodules that are broken:
third_party/OpenCL-ICD-Loader/src
third_party/Python-Markdown
third_party/SwiftShader
third_party/VK-GL-CTS/src
third_party/android_deps
third_party/android_ndk
third_party/android_platform
third_party/catapult
third_party/cherry
third_party/colorama/src
third_party/depot_tools
third_party/glmark2/src
third_party/googletest
third_party/ijar
third_party/jinja2
third_party/jsoncpp
third_party/libjpeg_turbo
third_party/libpng/src
third_party/markupsafe
third_party/nasm
third_party/protobuf
third_party/rapidjson/src
third_party/requests/src
third_party/six
third_party/vulkan-deps/spirv-cross/src
third_party/vulkan-deps/vulkan-loader/src
third_party/vulkan-deps/vulkan-tools/src
third_party/vulkan-deps/vulkan-validation-layers/src
third_party/wayland
```

Thanks,
-Uv

Geoff Lang

Aug 31, 2022, 10:04:31 AM8/31/22
to yuv...@gmail.com, angleproject
Hey,

We currently have an issue with our autorolling infrastructure which re-adds the submodules every time ANGLE is rolled into AOSP. We haven't had a chance to fix it yet but the submodules are not supposed to be there and are not required for the build.

Geoff

Yuvraaj Kelkar

Sep 1, 2022, 7:52:55 PM9/1/22
to angleproject
Thanks for the heads up.
Is there anything I can do to help? I have a patch ready, but if it's an automated system, then I don't know if my manual patch can help or not.

We have CI that breaks anytime we attempt a downstream pull merge because of this.
Angle isn't the only repo that causes the break, it's just the first one reported.

Thanks,
-Uv