Higher es version support for Metal backend?

刘挺

Aug 10, 2023, 3:50:14 AM8/10/23
to angleproject

Dear Angle Development Team,

I am writing to inquire about the support for OpenGL ES 3.1 or higher in the Metal backend. I am currently working on a project that requires support for higher versions of OpenGL ES, and I would like to know if there are any plans to add this support in the future.

I have checked the official Angle documentation, and it appears that the Metal backend currently supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0. However, I would like to know if there are any plans to add support for higher versions of OpenGL ES, such as 3.1 or higher.

If there are any plans to add support for higher versions of OpenGL ES in the Metal backend, I would appreciate any information you can provide on the timeline for this support. If there are no plans to add this support, I would appreciate any information you can provide on alternative solutions or workarounds.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely, liu ting

Geoff Lang

Aug 14, 2023, 10:46:32 AM8/14/23
to ltlh...@gmail.com, angleproject
Hey,

There are currently no plans for supporting OpenGL ES 3.1 for ANGLE's Metal backend. The primary usage of the Metal backend is to support WebGL in Chrome and Safari which only requires OpenGL ES 3.0.

Which features from ES 3.1 are you looking for? Dawn/WebGPU is a good alternative for a graphics API which runs on all platforms and supports GPU compute.

Geoff

刘挺

Aug 15, 2023, 4:19:08 AM8/15/23
to angleproject

Thanks for your reply!

I have a idea that I can use angle's vulkan backend, together with MoltenVk, to get the es3.1+ support coming from the vulkan backend of ANGLE.

But this brings up several questions:

1. Though it may sounds feasible, is there any serious problem with the approach?

2. What's the CTS conformance status of the Vulkan backend with MoltenVk, is there any test result?

3. How about performance? I know the Vulkan backend layer is probably good with little performance impact, but what about the MoltenVk layer?

Any suggestions and informance will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Geoff Lang

Aug 15, 2023, 10:48:21 AM8/15/23
to ltlh...@gmail.com, angleproject
It may work, but we have not tried it so I don't have any data on performance or conformance. ANGLE depends on some optional Vulkan extensions and features to support OpenGL ES3.1+ and MoltenVk may not support them.