Could ANGLE facilitate (cross-platform) driver OpenGL as part of its EGL?

Mick Pearson

Jul 11, 2021, 6:00:47 PMJul 11
to angleproject
Since I set out to use ANGLE an issue was bolting it onto a framework built on OpenGL. For cross-platform it uses wxWidgets' canvas that's not as flexible or expansive as EGL and since ANGLE is also cross-platform it would be awesome for me if it could cover OpenGL just by way of a pass-through system (just EGL.)

Midway through after using templates to kludge something for wxWidgets to live with ANGLE I realized I may have overlooked the possibility of using ANGLE for this, which would be a big improvement when building in ANGLE.

To draw this post to a close (read the subject line for the short version) I sat down and tried what I could think of to see if this could work. It seems it doesn't work on systems that don't have EGL (probably Linux does, for example) but seems like it could either work via the EGL device type extension, or if that's too far of a stretch, eglBindAPI could just work on OpenGL platform or something simple. It seems like this would just be making EGL more complete if you ask me.