The Man from Snowy River III

Noahide Books

Jun 27, 2011, 8:28:05 PM6/27/11
to Angel Fantasy
The Man from Snowy River III

Screenplay idea by Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly

(Work In Progress – Rough Draft)

Scene 1

The son of the black stallion is loose and runs near the hut with the
bush horses. Jessica goes outside to look. She sees the stallion.
Jim comes outside. He gives her a hug, and looks at the stallion.

JIM: ‘That’s him.’ He says nodding

JESSICA: ‘The SON of the Stallion.’

JIM: ‘I’ve seen him on the ranges from time to time. Wild like his
father. Untameable, like the mountains.’

JESSICA: ‘The Best sort always are,’ she says, hugging him

Switch to view of horses.

TRADITIONAL THEME MUSIC AND CREDITS BEGIN

Scene 2

Jim and Jessica in the hut.

JIM: ‘So how much have we got, then.’

JESSICA: ‘Nearly enough. But are you sure, Jim? Are you really
sure? Do you really want to leave the mountains. Theyr’e in your
blood, after all.’

Jim Nods. JIM: ‘The Mountain life is no place for a family, Jess. I
have been fooling myself for far too long on that. It’s time we went
down to the lowlands. Soon we can purchase the property next to your
Fathers. It is what is best for you.’

JESSICA: ‘You sound just like him, you know. Always what’s best for
me. Well, Jim. I made up my mind long ago about what was best for
me, and that is you and living up here. It is – my life now. I have
grown used to it. I know what you say about the mountains and they
have become part of me too. Just like you. And, whatever else,
Matilda would not have it any other way.’

THE DOOR OPENS AND MATILDA WALKS IN. Matilda is Jim and Jessica’s
daughter, (ideally played by Brooke Satchwell)

JESSICA: ‘Speak of the Devil’

Matilda nods at her mother, takes off her drizabone and akubra hat and
warms her hands by the fireplace.

JESSICA: ‘You would never leave the mountains, would you Matilda?

MATILDA: ‘Leave the mountains? Dad is not still going on about that
is he.’

JIM: You’ll thank me one day, Matilda. It is what your grandfather
has always wanted and I think, after all these years, I am starting to
see his point. This is no life for a young lady.’

Matilda stands up, walks over to Jim and says, bluntly ‘YOU were
raised here. Mmmm?’ She leaves the room to her bedroom.’

JIM, Watching her go, says ‘She is a Harrison, that one.’

JESSICA: ‘HALF a Harrison, don’t forget.’

JIM smiles

Scene Three

Jim and Jessica and Matilda are on their way to [spurs village]. They
enter the village. They get off their horse and cart in front of the
Hotel.

MATILDA: ‘I am just going to have a look around. I won’t be long.’

JIM: ‘Well, we will be here for a while. You know were to find us.’,
as Jim and Jessica walk up the steps and enter the Hotel.

Inside the Hotel Jim orders a beer. Jessica is taken off by (?
cornelia isn’t it?????)

SEB walks into the pub.

SEB: ‘If it isn’t Jim Craig.’

Jim gives a smile and comes and shakes Seb’s hand.

They sit down and start a yarn.

CORNELIA and Jessica

CORNELIA: ‘This!’

Jessica takes the paper from Irish hands and asks,

JESSICA ‘What is it?’

CORNELIA: ‘It is Spur’s will. Seemingly, from the will and other
papers we have found, Spur actually owned the gold mine. He made a
claim for it and was granted ownership of the land. So it belonged to
Spur all along.’

JESSICA ‘Well, what has that got to do with us?

CORNELIA: ‘It seems that spur had a partner in his gold mine all
along. Henry Craig.’

JESSICA: ‘Jim’s dad!!!???’

CORNELIA: ‘Yes. And Spur had made out this will, leaving the land
and his fortune to Henry, or in the case of Henry’s dying before him,
to Jim.

JESSICA: ‘So that would mean?

CORNELIA ‘You own (Spurs gold mine / town)

Back to Seb and Jim

Jessica rushes in:

JESSICA: ‘Jim?’

Jim looks at Jessica and asks

‘What?’

JESSICA ‘We’re rich!’ she says with a big smile on her face

Jim gives Jessica a puzzled look

Scene change to Matilda, who is shown wandering around village.

Richard comes up to her (played by Matthew Newton) and says:

‘I was wondering when I would see you again. You don’t come here
often enough for my liking.’

MATILDA looks at him, frustrated (she terribly dislikes him).

MATILDA: ‘What do you want, Richard?’ she says, the annoyance in her
voice quite apparent.

RICHARD: ‘That is no way to speak to your future husband?’

MATILDA: ‘Husband? Hardly? A frog would make a better husband than
you?’

RICHARD: ‘You will like me eventually.’

MATILDA: ‘Like my mother fell for your father, hey?’

RICHARD: ‘Leave father out of this. He always respected your
mother. They were simply not suitable for each other, that is all.’

MATILDA: ‘That is not the way I have heard it told.’

RICHARD: ‘Well you have heard wrong. Good day, Miss Craig.’ He
storms off.

Matilda watches him go and says ‘Good day’ under her breath, the
corner of her eye tilted.

She continues walking through the village, and comes to the barbers
shop. Inside Jack is taking lessons trying to be a barber. She
watches him. He is no good at it and the barber says

BARBER: ‘Look, I am sorry son. I just don’t think you have it in
you.’

JACK: ‘No. I guess not, after all.’

BARBER: ‘Look, I am happy to give you a letter saying you are
conscientious. There may be someone who will give you a go.’

JACK: ‘Thanks.’

Jack walks outside the shop with his meagre pay, and sits on the
ground. Matilda walks over to him and says,

MATILDA: ‘Hi. I’m Matilda.’

JACK. ‘Hi Matilda. I’m Jack.’

MATILDA; ‘Well does Jack have a surname? Or is he just Jack?

JACK: ‘Sorry. Smith. Jack Smith.’

MATILDA: ‘You seem down on your luck, Jack Smith. No good at
barbering.’

JACK: ‘Not much good at anything, really. Just farming. But its not
going to be my life, if I can help it. Despite what Father wants.
I’ll do something. Even if I have to go to the big city, I will do
something.’

MATILDA: ‘I, uh. I don’t think I have seen you around here before.
Are you new to town?

JACK: ‘We don’t get around this side of the ranges that much. But I
have been here once or twice before. It seemed like the best place to
come and try some work. That is, before I head to the city.’

MATILDA: ‘And no luck at that, it seems.’

JACK: ‘You saw me. I’ll never be a barber, that’s for sure.’

MATILDA: ‘Well, life has opportunities for a young man like
yourself. Keep your chin up. You never know what life can bring.’

JACK: ‘Yeh, thanks.’

Richard shows up:

RICHARD; ‘So who is this then? A boyfriend you haven’t been telling
me about? Richards friend Arthur is with Richard.

MATILDA: ‘No, he is not my boyfriend Richard. Father says when a
suitable suitor courts me appropriately, then I may get engaged.
Boyfriends are not exactly what he has in mind for me.’

ARTHUR:, who is a bit thick, says: ‘Nah. He’s her boyfriend. They
get along well.’

Richard looks at Arthur and then looks at Jack.

RICHARD: ‘So who are you, then?

JACK: ‘And what is that to you?

RICHARD: ‘just being polite, my dear sir. Welcoming a stranger to
town and all.

JACK: ‘As I was telling Matilda, my name is Jack Smith.

RICHARD: Jack Smith? Are you the Smiths from the other side of the
Ranges? Down near the Colby’s property?’

JACK: ‘That’s us.’

RICHARD: ‘You have problems with the bank, don’t you? I think father
has mentioned something about that?’

JACK: ‘We’re managing.’

RICHARD: ‘Maybe. But so few of us, do really manage, don’t we?
After all?’

MATILDA: Richard. If you have got nothing better to do, you could
perhaps go fly a kite. I am sure it is something both you and Arthur
are capable of.

Arthur chuckles, ‘Yeh, fly a kite. That is good one.’

RICHARD: ‘Come on Arthur. I can tell when we’re not welcome.’

CRUCIAL SCENES

After Jim and Jack have been congratulated for the daring feats in the
bore war in the Light Horse division, they are presented with Medals
by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert asks “Who is that Man?” to which
Victoria replies “The Man from Snowy River”

Later on, back home

Jim and Jack and Clancy at the mountainside. The Stallion has thrown
Jack off. Jack gets to his feet, and looks to Jim. Jim says, ‘What
do you do if a horse throws you off?’ Jack gets back on the stallion,
rides back away from the edge, and the second time successfully rides
down the edge. Dramatic music. Scenes show Jack riding down
mountain, and Jim and Clancy looking anxiously on. Clancy says to Jim
‘It’s a tough ride.’ Jim Says to Clancy ‘He’ll make it’

End scene ‘Jack’s ride’

Jim returns with Clancy to Harrison’s homestead. Moments later Jack
shows up – riding with the rescued colt. Harrison claims the colt.
Jack and Clancy and Harrison look on. Miss Hume stands behind
Harrison and Jessica comes up to take Jim in arm. Matilda stands over
to the side. She gives Jack a look. He tips his hat. She smiles and
waves. He rides off triumphant.