iOS Hell

Nii Darko Darkoh

May 17, 2022, 5:52:37 AM5/17/22
to DroidScript
Hi guys,
I am looking for a simple but powerful framework to convert my HTML App into
iOS app. Currently I am learning Capacitor but just like others, there
are some indirect sections of the tutorial that makes you loose appetite for it.

So far I find Capacitor better than what I have tried so far but am open to suggestions.
I have tried Onsen, Framework7, JQueryMobile, etc.. They all expect you to
install 3rd party packages and stuff and that's what makes DROIDSCRIPT special.

DS cuts out all these npm stuff and makes you focus on JS. GREAT!
So anyone with a cool framework for iOS should help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

May 17, 2022, 7:46:00 AM5/17/22
to DroidScript
Hi Nii,

If you would like to become an alpha tester of our new enjine.io framework, then we could discuss that.   I have already published 2 IOS apps based on this framework but it would good to get some 'friendly feedback' on it from a 3rd party.

If you use our new framework, then you would still need to use the xcode development tool to build and publish your app, but you can develop and debug your code on Android (same way as you develop DS apps) and then generate an x-code project from that.

Regards
David

Nii Darko Darkoh

May 17, 2022, 8:54:47 AM5/17/22
to DroidScript
Hi Dave/DS,
Very good news about the ios framework and congrats with your releases.
Sure I will like to become an alpha tester of the new enjine.io framework.
Will definitely give you solid feedbacks too. Kindly clarify the following for me though:
1. Where do I get the the enjine.io?
2. How do I install it?
3. How do I use the framework?
4. How do I transfer the project from DS to xcode?
5. What specs of iOS device do I need to get started?
With XCode, I hope the deployment processes have been reduced with the collaboration of your enjine.io framework.
I warmly look forward to answers to the above. Dave If you finally pull this iOS challenge off, I will buy you a cow..hahaa.
Check out the iOS deployment preparations I am making in the docs attached. I have suffered oo.
Thanks all in advance.
iOS Development on MAC with XCode.docx
DEVELOPMENT PROVISIONING PROFILE.docx

Dave

May 17, 2022, 9:40:44 AM5/17/22
to DroidScript

Here are some answers for you -

 - EnjineIO for IOS is still in alpha and not officially released anywhere, so I can send you the bits you need directly.

- The enjine.io framework will be packaged as a library which you can include in your xcode project.  All of your HTML files and JS libs will go into the project 'assets' folder.

- You have the choice of using your own favourite HTML UI components, or using our 'Material Style' components (based on material-ui), however they are still under development and still need a few tweaks here and there.

- If you have XCode installed, then you don't even need a real IOS device because you can run the emulators in xcode.  I like to test on real devices though, so I use an old iPhone6 device as well.

Note: Your app should work on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Web as well as Android and IOS with our framework, especially if you use our material components :)

Nii Darko Darkoh

May 17, 2022, 12:07:21 PM5/17/22
to DroidScript
Hi Dave,
Great, I have my Mac and xcode ready.
1. Just looking forward to getting the enjine.io bits directly from you.
2. I will love to be shown how to package the enjine.io as a library to include in my xcode project and be shown the rest of the stuff.
3. Do you mean the DS app can be developed on android as usual .. and then just throw the HTML and JS files into the ASSET folder in xcode and bimbimbambam.. iOS?
Lastly, lets be frant but iPhone pre deployment rituals are a real discouragment to developing apps for ios.
Note: Did i mention that I went back to my good old mom Visual Studio for Xamarin and VS 2013 and 2017 for HTML->iOS packaging.. but issues..

maurizio raiola

May 17, 2022, 3:12:27 PM5/17/22
to DroidScript
Hi Dave, I am also very interested in experimenting with engine, currently I have an osx environment configured to create ios apps with react, but I would like to take other paths that help me in the realization of ios app faster, a greeting from Italy

Dave

May 18, 2022, 12:15:23 PM5/18/22
to DroidScript
Hi Maurizio,

It would be good to have more than one alpha tester, so welcome aboard :)

You will normally develop your code using our new online IDE which should feel very familiar to you as it is basically the DS one re-badged and altered to work with multiple platforms.

You could also use the next beta release of DS instead and use the undocumented cfg.Hybrid mode, however don't try to use the current beta of DS as some of the UI elements and APIs have changed.

I should point out that much of the low-level functionality that is available on Android is not yet available on IOS (apart from BLE and basic file access), so please let me know what features are essential for your IOS projects (basically anything that is not UI related).

Regards
David

Nii Darko Darkoh

May 18, 2022, 2:23:27 PM5/18/22
to DroidScript
Hi Dave,
Please make the steps clear. From what I gathered, ...
1. Head over to http://enjine.cloud/ide
2. Copy and install the IDE on Android device
3. Create project in the IDE installed on Android device.
4. Create project in xcode with same name as one on Android device..
5. Copy project from Android device into ASSET folder in xcode.
6. Package project in xcode.
I hope I am correct please.
Regards
Nii.
(I don't know why iOS is doing this la.)

Raimorris

May 19, 2022, 4:27:59 AM5/19/22
to DroidScript
hi Dave,

1) can you send me the link to download ide on my android terminal? from the site I could not find it.

2) for ide droidscript beta version can you tell me the version?

3) about the functions if I don't start creating my first hello world and creating the first ios app I can't tell you what would be important to do sooner or later.

congratulations

Dave

May 19, 2022, 5:57:44 AM5/19/22
to DroidScript
Sorry guys, you will have to be patient, I'm having compilation issues after upgrading Android Studio..... at these times (while I'm fighting with Android Studio) I remember why I created DS!

Syed Munawer Hassan

May 20, 2022, 2:02:12 AM5/20/22
to DroidScript
I think step by step video tutorial can attract more tester of framework

Alan Hendry

May 20, 2022, 10:58:53 AM5/20/22
to DroidScript
HI,
has an example of Hybrid code (it works in 2.50 of DS).
I was working on some functions that would make it easier to take DS code and modify it,
(so that existing DS apps could be converted, and thus run on IOS).
See SPK (still needs loads of work). Try touching everything.
Regards, ah

Hybrid from app.spk

Nii Darko Darkoh

May 25, 2022, 7:58:09 PM5/25/22
to DroidScript
Hello Dave and DS,
I hope we are good.
Dave, how far with development bro?
Regards.
Nii.

Dave

May 27, 2022, 7:06:41 PM5/27/22
to DroidScript
I'm currently trying to get a new release of DS out with the latest Hybrid libs included (and some basic samples) so that people can at least start working on cross-platform code.

Once I have done that, then I will try to build the IOS library.

Please be patient

Nii Darko Darkoh

May 28, 2022, 9:10:51 PM5/28/22
to DroidScript
Sounds good. We shall be patient.
In the mean time kindly inform us on any
thing we can do to help.
Best Regards.
Nii.

Alan Hendry

May 29, 2022, 12:55:14 PM5/29/22
to DroidScript
HI,
Is there any specific target version of iOS?
I presume it should work on iPhone and iPad (different resolutions)
I have iPad 2 (iOS 9.3.5), iPad Gen 4 (10.3.3), iPhone 5 (10.3.4), SE (14.6)
Regards, ah

Jared

Jun 13, 2022, 12:40:04 PM6/13/22
to DroidScript
@Dave

Are you interested in any more alpha testers for the enjine.io framework? I would be interested if so :-) .
Best,
Jared

Symbroson

Jun 14, 2022, 5:48:57 AM6/14/22
to DroidScript
enjine.io is very early in development and not yet available for alpha testing. we will let you know when it is.
However you can help out by pointing out what features are essential for your projects, especially if you intend to target ios platforms

Nii Darko Darkoh

Jun 14, 2022, 6:24:13 AM6/14/22
to DroidScript
Thank you Symbrosson.
It's been a while. I hope you're good.
I love the sound of your reply and am listing
the iOS features I cherish to have in the first release
in order of importance to me:
1. FileSystem access
2. Mass Download of files
3. SQLite support
4. Local Storage support
5. Orientation
6. Notification
7. OpenURL
8. Confirm dialog box
9. Vibration alert
10. Toast/ShowPopup
11. Transition Animation
NOTE: The above request mainly concerns an hybrid app.
Regards
-Nii

Nii Darko Darkoh

Jun 14, 2022, 6:37:44 AM6/14/22
to DroidScript
Hi Dave
Can We have the link to the two published IOS apps you mentioned?
-Nii

Alan Hendry

Jun 14, 2022, 7:39:28 AM6/14/22
to DroidScript
HI,
If you aren't already in the beta google group I would recommend joining and taking part there.
2.52 of DS is on the beta site and includes updates to hybrid including samples and project/app template.
I reckon that's a good way to learn about hybrid objects and methods
(which should stand you in good stead for enjine.io).
From other posts, work is still going on for the iOS build,
and all the objects/methods need developing/testing (so far I see only ui. controls)
and probably the tools (editor, builder), documentation, ...
So it will probably take a while.
Regards, ah

Alan Hendry

Jun 14, 2022, 7:45:59 AM6/14/22
to DroidScript
P.S. On DS 2.52 you need to tick About > Experiments to see the Hybrid goodies.

Dave

Jun 19, 2022, 4:04:50 AM6/19/22
to DroidScript
@Jared,  Alan is right... practicing with the new cfg.Hybrid option will be good prep for engine.io, as the UI library is shared with DS.

You can find a beta version of DS here (you need to enable 'experiments' on the about box and restart DS)

If you are not a member of the beta forum yet, please send a message to sup...@droidscript.org requesting to join.

For those interested in current IOS apps made with the enjine.io framework, you can look here -

Regards
David

Nii Darko Darkoh

Jun 20, 2022, 3:21:04 AM6/20/22
to DroidScript
Thanks Dave.
Can you direct us on how to set up DS or enjine.io
on a Mac or iPhone?
-Nii

Alan Hendry

Jun 20, 2022, 7:05:52 AM6/20/22
to DroidScript
HI,
DS only runs on Android (ditto for your built apps).
Some hybrid stuff has been added to DS 2.52
As far as I can tell there isn't any iOS build yet.
Regards, ah