Local lecture series on Android development

Tristan Waddington

Jan 6, 2013, 7:26:38 PM1/6/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com, Josh Yaganeh, Courtland Fowler, Ryan Arana
Hey All,

Myself and a few developers from Geoloqi are trying to put together a recurring series of talks on Android development. We've scheduled the first event for January 31st and it'll be hosted at the Simple Finance office in NW Portland. If you're interested in coming, please register at the eventbrite page listed below. The space is somewhat limited, so it'd be good to know how many people plan on attending:

http://calagator.org/events/1250463336
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5155821200

The first event will likely start off with some introductions and then segue into a few short talks. I'm guessing we'll end up at a pub afterwards to talk about the next event. Some of the first talks will be on Android build automation with Jenkins, the new V2 mapping library and the Android activity lifecycle. We've already started thinking about topics for future talks and have a pretty good list going. If you know anyone who can speak with authority on one of the following topics we'd love to hear from you:

- Managing your Android project with Maven.
- Android testing with robolectric, calabash or robotium (the state of Android testing).
- Switching your Android development from Eclipse to IntelliJ.
- Utilizing an Android library project (e.g. ActionBarSherlock).

If you have any other suggestions let us know and we'll add them to the list!

We're hoping to record the talks and publish them online so others can benefit. Hopefully we can make a good collection of talks available in the future. Maybe an androidpdx YouTube channel would be in order?

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

--
Tristan Waddington

Pawel Wojnarowicz

Jan 6, 2013, 7:36:25 PM1/6/13
to tristan.w...@gmail.com, Josh Yaganeh, Courtland Fowler, Ryan Arana, andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tristan,

Sounds pretty cool. I'll be happy to cover any of the test/automation/debug stuff: Robotium, Calabash, MonkeyTalk, device lab automation, ADB etc.

App performance analysis could be pretty cool topic too.

--
Thanks,
Pawel Wojnarowicz

Co-Founder @AppThwack
www.appthwack.com
+1-503-703-6479
1227 NW Davis St
Portland, OR

Tristan Waddington

Jan 6, 2013, 7:46:39 PM1/6/13
to Pawel Wojnarowicz, Josh Yaganeh, Courtland Fowler, Ryan Arana, andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Pawel,

Awesome! Why don't you message me directly at
<tristan.w...@gmail.com> and we can work out the details. Would
love to have you as one of our speakers for this event or the next
one. We're just looking for short talks right now, maybe 10 to 15
minutes. Although that's not set in stone.

Performance analysis and memory management would be a great future
topic. I added it to the list!

-Tristan

Don Park

Jan 7, 2013, 6:01:38 PM1/7/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tristan,
  Thanks for setting this up! I'd like to make this event the monthly meeting for January 2013. As far as youtube, adding a tag of 'androidpdx' should let anyone upload video and still be easy to find.

Don

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Tristan Waddington <tristan.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tristan Waddington

Jan 7, 2013, 6:09:11 PM1/7/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a plan. We are somewhat limited on space in the Simple
office, so if we get more than 25 or so attendees we'll have to
relocate to a different venue. Possibly the Geoloqi office.

-Tristan

Tristan Waddington

Jan 15, 2013, 2:42:44 PM1/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave, I'll keep your offer in mind!

-Tristan

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Dave Shanley <da...@crowdcompass.com> wrote:
> Looks like a fantastic kick off to the series -- we're doing automation here
> both in development and QA, and there are a few of us using IntelliJ instead
> of Eclipse.
>
> CrowdCompass is happy to host, too, if we need more room. We regularly have
> about 50-80 people here for events.
>
> Dave
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/androidpdx/-/PGSf9Ip-5JkJ.

Jasper Lieber

Jan 15, 2013, 5:14:57 PM1/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
so, i'm not clear:  will there be space for more than 25 folks?  i also see "sold out" on eventbrite….

Don Park

Jan 15, 2013, 5:24:46 PM1/15/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jasper,
  I asked Tristan about a new venue and he is working on getting one. I assume he'll post here about it soon.

Don "Eagerly Anticipating" Park

Tristan Waddington

Jan 24, 2013, 5:29:47 PM1/24/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

Quick update. We are working on switching venues to Urban Airship for the 31st event. The date and time will remain the same, but we'll be able to open it up to a lot more people due to the larger space. We have the space reserved and am working on the final details with the guys at UA. Once I know the capacity of the space I'll update the eventbrite invite and send another email to pdxandroid.

If you want to come and haven't been able to sign up yet, just plan on coming and I'll update you soon.

-Tristan

Tristan Waddington

Jan 24, 2013, 6:07:19 PM1/24/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Just updated the Eventbrite page with the new venue info and additional seats.

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5155821200

Thanks!

-Tristan

Doug Mason

Jan 24, 2013, 6:18:40 PM1/24/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Tristan for doing this, I am looking forward to the event.

-Doug

Paul A. Steckler

Jan 24, 2013, 6:32:32 PM1/24/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The EventBrite page still says "Simple" for the venue.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Tristan Waddington

Paul A. Steckler

Jan 24, 2013, 6:33:37 PM1/24/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Correction, the venue is listed as Urban Airship, but it still says
"Simple" at the top of the event page.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Tristan Waddington