audio file question

Scott Baker

Nov 10, 2014, 12:39:55 AM11/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

I am new to Android and I am trying to build an app that can on-the fly play a sequences of sound clips (from res/raw).
I tried using soundpool, but there does not seem to be a way to tell it to wait for the first sound clip to finish before starting the second.
There is a callback available to wait for the load to complete, but there is no similar callback available to wait for the play to complete.
I suppose I could add a sleep, but that seems inelegant.

Another possibility would be to concatenate the sequences of sound clips into a single file prior to calling soundpool (.load then .play)
but I would not want to constantly write to the flash file system to do this (is there a way to do this in only RAM?)

Any suggestions to implement this?

Thanks,
Scott

C Shipley

Nov 11, 2014, 4:57:53 PM11/11/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Don't think it can be done with SoundPool. Only two options I know of: use the MediaPlayer and a CompletionListener, or (a hack) use the MediaPlayer to get the duration of the sound file you're playing with SoundPool and start a timer that fires when the SoundPool is done.

I would probably just use the MediaPlayer.  Let me know if you need any help.

-- Curtis