Android-x86 4.4-R1: can't install as /system read-write?

Andy "CrossGate" Yan

Nov 5, 2014, 7:23:05 AM11/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

So today I got adventurous and decided to try out Android-x86 yet again on my laptop. After trying it by LiveCD, I found that 4.4-R1 has improved quite a lot from previous versions, so I decided to make some space on my HDD for a new partition and install the build on it.
Environment: Lenovo Erazer Z500: Core i7-3612QM + 4GB + 1TB (8GB allocated for Android-x86, definitely enough) + HD4000/GT740M; Windows 7 64-bit, AHCI switched on.
Problem is, no matter what filesystem I format the 8GB partition with, be it ext3, ext2, ntfs or even fat32, whenever I choose to install /system as read-write, the installation always terminates early and fail, sometimes at around 17%, sometimes at 0%.
Choosing read-only will make it install and run just fine, so I think the ISO I downloaded should be intact.
I also tried Android-x86 4.3 and 4.4-RC2, and both could install successfully as read-write, although 4.4-RC2 gives a lot of FC so I can't use it.
Even tried turning AHCI off, which not only didn't make read-write possible, but also made my PC stuck at GRUB command line, I had to manually enter commands to boot Windows.
Can anyone who has gotten R1 to run successfully shed some light on the issue?

Thanks,
Andy Yan

mike r

Nov 5, 2014, 9:21:48 AM11/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar problem search grub in the group you should come a long winded explanation by me.... When everyone was happy go lucky, installing no problems... LOL OK. Anyway its their if it don't help holla unfortunately I've become pretty good with it.

Mike

Andy "CrossGate" Yan

Nov 10, 2014, 1:18:26 AM11/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Bump... Ideas anyone?

Andy "CrossGate" Yan

Nov 10, 2014, 8:37:40 AM11/10/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Never mind, the image I downloaded was of the same size but had different SHA-1 hash. Redownloaded and installation went fine.
The changes I made to /mnt/grub/menu.lst won't save, but I'll just leave that minor problem for now...