Can the emulator scan and record the MAC addresses of nearby wifi (just as an Android phone can)?

David Jackson

Mar 22, 2023, 3:09:39 PM3/22/23
to Android-x86
My Android device (Kindle Fire) is constantly scanning for nearby wireless networks in order to provide accurate location-based services e.g. my location on Google Maps.

On the Android-x86 VirtualBox, in Settings / Security & Location / Location / Scanning, there are options for "Wi-Fi Scanning" and "Bluetooth Scanning" which "allow apps and services to scan for Wifi networks at any time even when Wifi is off. This can be used to improve location based features and services."

Both Wifi and Blutooth scanning are set to "off" as the default.

However, if these two options were turned "on", would the Android-x86 VirtualBox be able to generate a list of the nearby wireless networks and send that information to Google? My assumption is no, because the OS is an emulation of Android in a VM rather than an actual Android OS on phone or tablet.

Am I correct? Or can the emulator gather wireless data and signal strength of nearby networks just as an Android phone or tablet does?

Thanks.

searinminecraft

Mar 23, 2023, 1:08:41 AM3/23/23
to David Jackson, Android-x86
no. an emulator cannot scan nearby wifi/bluetooth devices. only devices with actual wifi adapter can.

Micheal Martin

Mar 23, 2023, 3:38:25 PM3/23/23
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This is correct, unless Google implements some sort of pseudo hardware passthrough.