Will Haswell Chipsets ever boot Android x86 with accelerated graphics?

Ali Hussan Ahmed

Feb 18, 2014, 3:36:15 PM2/18/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've managed to boot the Live Android x86 4.4 RC1 image, I can successfully boot up but only with the flag 'nomodeset' if I don't use that flag all I get is a blank screen.

I have a XPS 15 9530 with this rom everything works Touch, 5G Wifi BT and sound - the only thing letting it down is the accelerated graphics and the resolution.

Has anyone managed to get this working or will I have to wait for those good old folks at Android IA to support Haswell?

Ali Hussan Ahmed

Mar 7, 2014, 2:02:04 PM3/7/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone tell me if they have successfully booted android on a haswell laptop/pc?

Soon as I boot into android my display turns off - I've been told this may be because of my Nvidia card but I have seen people boot android successfully with discrete Nvidia Graphics card as well as Integrated Intel graphics.

My Specs:

XPS 15 9530
3200x1800 Display
i7 4702hq
16gbs of RAM
750GT 2GB
512 Solid State

Any information I will be grateful :)

aLexzkter

Mar 8, 2014, 9:41:14 AM3/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that'd be me.
I have a  Lenovo g580 with Intel i5 3230m and Intel HD4000 integrated gpu.

Everything's working except for sleep/pause problem.

Christian Starling

Mar 8, 2014, 11:03:34 AM3/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
thats ivy bridge not haswell...

Yizhou Zheng

Mar 9, 2014, 2:06:33 PM3/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I have a 9530. Unfortunately the only way I could make it boot is to add "nomodeset".
It will be extremely slow if I use 3200x1800 resolution... However when I put vga=ask in it there's no other wide screen resolution for me to choose.
I tried the i915 driver but I failed. I tried UVESA_MODE=1920x1080 however it went into 1920*1200 automatically. It seems to be a little bit smoother if I use UVESA_MODE= instead of vga= but I'm not quiet sure of that.
Interestingly, it will only boot through GRUB(which is the legacy boot). If I try to boot from GRUB2x64(which is the UEFI boot), it shows kernel panic immediately.

That's all I have in my hand right now.

I'm so happy to see some one using the same device as mine. ;D

Maksim Lin

Mar 11, 2014, 10:21:03 PM3/11/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, 8 March 2014 06:02:04 UTC+11, Ali Hussan Ahmed wrote:
Can anyone tell me if they have successfully booted android on a haswell laptop/pc?

Soon as I boot into android my display turns off - I've been told this may be because of my Nvidia card but I have seen people boot android successfully with discrete Nvidia Graphics card as well as Integrated Intel graphics.

What you have most likely have seen is "people" booting with the Nvida card disabled in the devices firmware (aka "Bios") in which case androidx86's i915 driver might have a chance of working, though I suspect there will be showstopper issues for a haswell HD4xxx

Maks.

Ali Hussan Ahmed

Mar 17, 2014, 2:18:46 PM3/17/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yizhou,

thanks for your post, you've got a little further than me, never tried the UVESA_MODE flag, after your post I tried it on 1280x720 which ran alot smoother than 1080.  But unfortunately its just not good enough just yet.  The only thing we need really is to get Accelerated Graphics working! I've heard of a command that might work 'VGA_switcharoo' but It looks like this command will not work with GRUB.  Our main problem is that we have laptops that use Nvidia's Optimus.  Just need to find a way to disable Nvidia via a GRUB command as we're unable to within the BIOS.

Good Luck!

Ali Hussan Ahmed

Apr 4, 2014, 1:51:26 PM4/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yizhou,

Just to let you know that the new AndroidIA build for the XPS 12 works perfectly for the XPS15 9530!! check it out opengl out of the box!

Yizhou Zheng

Apr 12, 2014, 10:25:04 PM4/12/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
That's amazing... I'll try it out

在 2014年4月4日星期五UTC-5下午12时51分26秒,Ali Hussan Ahmed写道:

midi jari

Apr 13, 2014, 1:00:11 PM4/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ali, you may try Android-IA's port for Haswell, but don't install it, otherwise, every thing in your disk will be erased! the Link https://01.org/android-ia/downloads/ and download the Dell version. :)

Ali Hussan Ahmed

Sep 4, 2014, 6:47:34 PM9/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Well My next mission is to get a working arm translator to work on Android IA for the Dell XPS15 9530, any help will be appreciated. :)

Christian P

Sep 5, 2014, 10:50:59 AM9/5/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hasswell is generally well supported by Android x 86. Graphics card supported you well? How many points can be reached at Antutu.