Android-x86's fault on mouse integration problem

Mahdi (Med. Inov. in profile)

Jul 19, 2018, 12:29:29 PM7/19/18
to Android-x86
It is Android-x86 fualt that mouse integration is not working in Virtualbox

Mauro Rossi

Jul 19, 2018, 4:37:08 PM7/19/18
to Android-x86
Hi,
I may be wrong but that option requires some virtualbox guest  package installed, but there is no Android virtualbox guest package,
so why are you expecting mouse integration to work?

What is the problem with disabling the option and having a working mouse in virtualbox?
Mauro

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 20, 2018, 12:09:40 AM7/20/18
to Android-x86
It's the task of VirtualBox team to provide a guest package
for a supported OS -- they provided Windows, Linux, etc packages
but no Android package.
If you want that, just ask them.
But I'm afraid they just don't care Android support.
(remember the company behind VirtualBox is Oracle
which has sued Google Android for many years)

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Christian Jamoner

Aug 13, 2018, 6:07:10 AM8/13/18
to Android-x86
These 2 configurations are present in kernel 4.16 and up but I haven't had a success booting with these options enabled.
Not sure how much work is needed for this to work with android.

CONFIG_DRM_VBOXVIDEO
CONFIG_VBOXGUEST

Mauro Rossi

Aug 13, 2018, 1:02:10 PM8/13/18
to Android-x86
Hi Christian,

Il giorno lunedì 13 agosto 2018 12:07:10 UTC+2, Christian Jamoner ha scritto:
These 2 configurations are present in kernel 4.16 and up but I haven't had a success booting with these options enabled.
Not sure how much work is needed for this to work with android.

CONFIG_DRM_VBOXVIDEO

This is only the kernel drm driver, there are other parts of gfx stack requiring changes: libdrm, gralloc_drm_pipe, mesa gallium pipe driver, DRI vboxvideo_dri.so library
Personally I'm sure that having libdrm, mesa working on linux is a necessary pre-requisite and it's not a milestone we can count on yet.
Please let me know when that will happen.

virtualbox guest additions are open source but it's not a "just build the libraries" porting to android-x86,
it is a very nasty task for people who do not know the virtualbox guest addition sources and structure.

Mauro

CONFIG_VBOXGUEST

I think that if the problem is to click a button on virtualbox application to disable automatic mouse integration,
like we did in the last 4 years (and it takes 3 seconds) and use the hot keys to switch control, then I do not see it as a fundamental problem.