android x86 grub won't boot black screen cursor blinking

AJIRI O

Jan 1, 2018, 10:06:14 PM1/1/18
to Android-x86
Hi.

Do any Android-x86 users get this error:

I installed Android x86 6.0 r3 Marshmallow on a custom PC running UEFI with BIOS/Legacy/CSM support, and I created and installed everything into one bootable primary partition called dev/sda1 and parameters like ext4 formatting, grub install, grub2 install without format, and system read-write enabled, but when I reboot the system a black screen shows up with noting else but a blinking cursor at the top left corner of the screen?

I know for a fact that it is attempting to boot since it enters into the drive instead of throwing "this is not a bootable disk." The only possible explanation I can have for this is that either the grub I supposedly installed is missing, or its outdated.

Ubuntu and other distros install correctly, so I am thinking of porting its grub into android's /boot/ directory (which is hard since the OS prevents this).

Sadi Yumuşak

Jan 3, 2018, 7:19:04 PM1/3/18
to Android-x86
Hi,

It seems Android-x86 cannot install grub bootloader with UEFI / Secure Boot feature enabled.

The only way out I've found - without disabling UEFI / Secure Boot feature - is:

1) installing it alongside (as a sub-directory under) a Linux distro with a working grub bootloader using via a RPM package at https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html or via a DEB package (using "alien" tool to convert), and

2) manually adding the following grub menu entry:

menuentry 'Android-x86' --class android-x86 {
        linux /android-???/kernel androidboot.selinux=permissive
        initrd /android-???/initrd.img
}

3) replacing the file "system.sfs" with the "unsquashed" directory named "system" to use the system area in read-write mode (either by extracting or by copying from a direct installation).

Sadi

AJIRI O

Jan 4, 2018, 5:14:58 AM1/4/18
to Android-x86
Awesome.

I will explore this with Ubuntu within the next two weeks. Came to the same conclusion earlier, except I was stuck as to what code edits needed to be inserted into the install.

Also, I might explore a way to insert Ubuntu's UEFI grub installer to a revision of Android x86 in the future, if this works.

AJIRI O.