4.4 Ethernet

Joshua Davis

Mar 1, 2014, 7:01:18 PM3/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I was wondering how to get Ethernet working on Android x86 4.4 Build.
I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, Luckily Some games work, no games worked for me on android x86 4.0.4, 4.2 & 4.3 Or anything below 4.0. I'm very happy with the latest KitKat build other than having no Ethernet. So is there a way to get Ethernet working?

fuzzy7k

Mar 2, 2014, 8:27:35 AM3/2/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Ethernet just works as long as it's plugged in on bootup. I am assuming you want to hotplug it, or assign a manual IP, not sure if hotplugging works, but the behind the scene ethernet is only set up for dhcp.

Ron M

Mar 2, 2014, 8:44:42 AM3/2/14
to Android-x86

You may need to define some parameters in an overlay xml (see example at github/ronubo andevcon tree) don't think it is necessary any longer.

Does the Linux part recognize your hardware?

Output of netcfg ?  Of ipconfig ?

Did you try netcfg eth0 dhcp if so? Or the static setting method?

-Ron Munitz

Message has been deleted

rbg

Mar 2, 2014, 3:56:27 PM3/2/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
try:
     ALT F1

   modprobe e1000 ( or modprobe e1000e)

ALT F7

Tim Kowalsky

Jun 28, 2014, 11:13:40 PM6/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
A little late to reply, I know, but I've been trying to get this 4.4 build working on a DELL desktop.  The Ethernet is not automatically configured, on boot.  The ethernet is recognized, by the kernel, but it does not grab a DHCP IP address, off the network.  And the Market, or Google Account setup, do not work.  Both attempt to find a Wifi connection, which doesn't exist, as this computer has no wifi adapter.

So, ethernet, at least not in all cases, doesn't "just work", unfortunately.
:(

Matthew

Jun 28, 2014, 11:41:58 PM6/28/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I am using a dell optiplex computer, small factor. All releases have found my ethernet and my wifi.

Tim Kowalsky

Jun 30, 2014, 2:15:52 PM6/30/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
​I'm installing the latest release, on a DELL Optiplex 760.  I'm installing to the hard drive.

 I've wiped the hard disk, and installed, from the Android-x86 installer, twice.  The results were the same.  (This isn't intended to be a complaint.  I'm wondering if others have found a workaround.)

The installation completes, with no issues.
Android boots fine.
In the Android setup, after I am prompted, to choose a new, or existing, Google account, Android opens the wireless network settings, and tells me, I need to turn on wireless networking.
This computer has no wireless NIC.  Changing the wireless setting to "On" has no effect.
The only way I can proceed, is to skip the account set up.
After I complete the setup wizard, Android opens fine.
However, no apps can access the Internet.
If I try to open Google Play, or add a Google account, in settings, Android opens the wireless settings, again, and I'm stuck, again.

If I open a terminal, in Android, su, and type in "netcfg", I see eth0 listed, with IP address 0.0.0.0.
If I type in "service list", I see dhcpcd, with status "[PREINIT]".
If I type in "dhcpcd eth0", dhcpcd finds the dhcp server, on my network, and acquires a valid IP address.
I can then ping IP addresses, on my LAN.  If I type in "ip route list", I see the default route points to the correct gateway IP address.
However, I haven't yet found a way to avoid having to open a terminal, and type in "dhcpcd eth0", again, after each reboot.

And this is where the next issue appears.  dhcpcd isn't applying the DNS server IP addresses, from my dhcp server.  I have no functioning name resolution.  I've tried to setprop dhcp.eth0.dns1, from a terminal, or in the build.prop, or defaul.prop.  I've tried to set these properties explicitly to DNS server IP addresses (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, or to my LAN DNS), in /system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20_dns.conf.

So far, no luck.  A reboot gets me back to eth0 as IP 0.0.0.0, and no matter what, I get no DNS resolution.

Has anyone else run across this?

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Matthew <matthewhu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using a dell optiplex computer, small factor. All releases have found my ethernet and my wifi.

Vivi

Jun 30, 2014, 5:33:01 PM6/30/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I remember a very similar issue, but it was with a modified genymotion Android, not Android-x86.
I had to play with wpa-supplicant to have a correct and complete IP stack with dhcp and dns working OK.

I never had any issue with Android-x86 and wired Ethernet as long as the NIC was correctly recognized and the driver for it was loaded and started.

What is the exact NIC model and revision in your Dell Optiplex 760?

Tim Kowalsky

Jul 1, 2014, 9:31:50 AM7/1/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The computer is a DELL Optiplex 760.  I'm not where I can lay hands on this computer, right now, but, per DELL's support site, this model has integrated Intel® 82566DM Gigabit Ethernet.

Googling a bit more led me to a few references, to others having trouble, with this Intel chipset, in Linux.

There's a RedHat bug thread, related,to the e1000 driver, and Intel 82566DM, here:

I also found a thread, on the SourceForge developer mailing list, for the e1000 driver, discussing problems, with the Intel 82566DM Ethernet, recommending disabling ATM2, in the BIOS, as a possible fix.  (However, this is a very old thread.  2007)
http://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/mailman/message/7187202/

I've also found references, to old versions of the e1000 driver causing this Intel NIC chipset to repeatedly disconnect.  But that doesn't seem to be the case, in my issue.

Unfortunately, I won't have access to the DELL Optiplex, to test further, until the end of the week.