Custom Kernel Stopped Working

BrokenE39

Jul 25, 2018, 1:54:28 AM7/25/18
to Android-x86
Sorry about the spam but I think I may get more views if this problem is posted separately.

I'm using a custom kernel that worked when I tried dual boot with Win10. The working method was to copy the custom kernel from Win10 into the Android NTSF partition. However, since GRUB navigation doesn't work on my tablet (no touch), I'm reverting back to single boot of Android X86 using the Auto Installation method. Once installed, I used Ubuntu Live to copy the kernel over to the Android partition. While it does copy over perfectly fine using sudo cp, on reboot, none of the features (wifi, touch screen, power management) work. Booting in debug mode doesn't show any obvious error message beside it saying having EXT3 compatibility issue with the partition but I didn't think much of this. I tried marking the kernel file to be read & write & executable by everyone but the issue remained so I ruled out permission issue.

I followed Paul Lutus' guide for custom kernel and in it, he mentioned copying the kernel to the Android folder in the device should work.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 25, 2018, 4:10:35 AM7/25/18
to Android-x86
You need to copy all modules (drivers) as well.
Otherwise no driver will be loaded.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Daniel Cheung

Jul 30, 2018, 12:25:34 AM7/30/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Not sure where to find the drivers. Are you referring to the "kernel/drivers" content in the "Out" folder? If so, what's the proper folder structure I need in the target device?

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 30, 2018, 12:34:24 AM7/30/18
to Android-x86
> Not sure where to find the drivers. Are you referring to the
> "kernel/drivers" content in the "Out" folder? If so, what's the proper
> folder structure I need in the target device?

All modules. i.e., all *.ko files.

If you build from source, it should be installed
via make modules_install.

Daniel Cheung

Jul 30, 2018, 1:23:19 AM7/30/18
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Do I need the use make O=dir_name modules_install instead? If I'm building in my Ubuntu VM, wouldn't just using make modules_install copy the drivers into Ubuntu's lib folder instead? I'm simply checking kernel options per the custom kernel tutorial and it worked without copying drivers into the target device at my first attempt. I'm trying to understand why when I'm repeating the install process, I'm getting different results.

BrokenE39

Aug 3, 2018, 8:37:18 PM8/3/18
to Android-x86
Per Chih-Wei Huang's advise, I'm trying to build the custom modules using "make modules_install" using the following command:

sudo make -j6 modules_install TARGET_PRODUCT=android_x86_64 TARGET_KERNEL_CONFIG=my_defconfig install_mod_path=/home/daniel/android_drivers/

However, I'm getting the ninja: error: unknown target 'modules_install' error message. If I take out the install_mod_path option, I'm setting getting the same error.