no wlan0 interface on Dell Venue Pro 11 - 6.0 rc1

michel thomasius

Jul 19, 2016, 11:16:10 AM7/19/16
to Android-x86
Hi Guys,

I've installed 6.0 rc1 yesterday on a spare partition on my Dell Venue Pro 11 7139.

I am having issues connecting to wifi. LSMOD shows that the iwlwifi module is loaded, but I don't have a wlan0 interface.

If i plug a USB ethernet adapter into the machine, I can get onto the network via DHCP. So at least that bit is working!

I have a pretty good linux cli background, but I can't figure this one out, due to the difference between standard linux and android config files and directories. I've spent over 4 hours on this already!

Funnily enough, the /system/bin/netcfg binary that a lot of posts refer to is not present on my system, which is weird!

I also have the same 'sleep' issue, described by 'Nicofrommtp' here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/Dell$20Venue$20Pro/android-x86/W6HEc_e_ric/azsaQwkWKwAJ

How can I troubleshoot this further, and what logs do you guys need?

michel thomasius

Jul 19, 2016, 11:34:43 AM7/19/16
to Android-x86
Here's some screenshots, showing some more info:

It may be the case that I do not have the correct firmware files in /system/lib/firmware, but there's a couple of versions of the firmware in there.

Windows reports that I have the 7260 WiFi card, but I am not sure Linux identifies it as such. There's certainly no evidence of that in dmesg. Any other ideas?

Chih-Wei Huang

Jul 20, 2016, 12:46:53 AM7/20/16
to Android-x86
<andro...@googlegroups.com>:
> Hi Guys,
>

> I've installed 6.0 rc1 yesterday on a spare partition on my Dell Venue Pro 11 7139.
>
> I am having issues connecting to wifi. LSMOD shows that the iwlwifi module is loaded, but I don't have a wlan0 interface.
>
> If i plug a USB ethernet adapter into the machine, I can get onto the network via DHCP. So at least that bit is working!
>
> I have a pretty good linux cli background, but I can't figure this one out, due to the difference between standard linux and android config files and directories. I've spent over 4 hours on this already!
>
> Funnily enough, the /system/bin/netcfg binary that a lot of posts refer to is not present on my system, which is weird!

netcfg was removed in android 6.0.
Use ifconfig.

> I also have the same 'sleep' issue, described by 'Nicofrommtp' here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/Dell$20Venue$20Pro/android-x86/W6HEc_e_ric/azsaQwkWKwAJ
>

> How can I troubleshoot this further, and what logs do you guys need?

According your screenshots you are
not using 6.0-rc1 but probably an
very old testing version which
seems not include the firmware.
Note 6.0-rc1 uses kernel 4.4.12
instead of 4.4.0.

Please download 6.0-rc1 release to try again.
(or sync and build from source if you can do)

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

michel thomasius

Jul 20, 2016, 2:59:46 AM7/20/16
to Android-x86
Thank you for your quick reply Chih-Wei!

I'll get a fresh version of 6.0 and I'll report back after testing it.

P.S. I think the wifi driver issue is the same as described here: http://z-issue.com/wp/linux-firmware-for-iwlwifi-ucode-failed-with-error-2/

At least on the surface it looks like it!

michel thomasius

Jul 21, 2016, 7:08:40 AM7/21/16
to Android-x86
Quick Update on this issue. Its now resolved!

As predicted by Chih-Wei, after downloading a fresh copy of RC-1, the wifi problem went away, because the module appears to be baked-in now. No idea why I had an earlier copy of RC-1. I must have downloaded it from a different mirror site.

I have a different problem now with not being able to download or update any apps from Google Play, but I'll do some more research before I post a thread on that.

Thank you! :)

michel thomasius

Jul 22, 2016, 5:26:17 AM7/22/16
to Android-x86

One last note: The Venue Pro 11 with the 7260 Wifi card appears to have a quirky bug, in that when the tablet goes to sleep, as soon as it wakes back up, wifi is dead and you won't be able to get it working again until after a reboot.

The fix is to add a keyword to one of the config files for the wifi module:

If you add line like : echo "enabled" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:0x\:xx.x/power/wakeup

to init.sh in /etc (juste before the last line "return 0"