Andoid-x86 4.4.4 with Linux Kernel 3.17.1 working on Qemu/KVM - host GPU passthrough - Help needed in forcing graphical apps to use host GPU for rendering

Myth Buster

Oct 29, 2014, 6:40:36 PM10/29/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have been able to use Linux Kernel 3.17.1 with VGA passthrough patch by Alex for Android-x86 4.4.4 on Qemu/KVM. I have managed to force the kernel to take the host GPU when Android-x86 boots on Qemu/KVM while disabling the default VGA emulated card(not being listed in the pci devices at all). The host GPU passed-through is primary Intel IGD on one machine and I am using a different machine to see the Android-x86 with the help of spice over the network.

Now, my target is to force the Android applications to make use of the host GPU(drivers, etc) for their graphical rendering since the Android-x86 is having GPU for its own. However, I see that the software renderer is still being used(libEGL logs in logcat). So, any inputs in this regard in order to disable the software renderer and use the host GPU drivers directly to use the host GPU in its full potential for the Android advanced 3D games will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chih-Wei Huang

Oct 29, 2014, 10:23:58 PM10/29/14
to Android-x86
2014/10/30 上午6:40 於 "Myth Buster" <raghav...@gmail.com> 寫道:

> I have been able to use Linux Kernel 3.17.1 with VGA passthrough patch by Alex for Android-x86 4.4.4 on Qemu/KVM. I have managed to force the kernel to take the host GPU when Android-x86 boots on Qemu/KVM while disabling the default VGA emulated card(not being listed in the pci devices at all). The host GPU passed-through is primary Intel IGD on one machine and I am using a different machine to see the Android-x86 with the help of spice over the network.

What's the patch you applied?

> Now, my target is to force the Android applications to make use of the host GPU(drivers, etc) for their graphical rendering since the Android-x86 is having GPU for its own. However, I see that the software renderer is still being used(libEGL logs in logcat). So, any inputs in this regard in order to disable the software renderer and use the host GPU drivers directly to use the host GPU in its full potential for the Android advanced 3D games will be greatly appreciated.

Please read the documents under sdk/emulator/opengl/

Tri Le

Nov 6, 2014, 9:44:20 AM11/6/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Can you share the Android image that you created.  I wanted to test on my thinkpad yoga.  Oddly I do not get any sound with the current image.

Thanks

Mauro Rossi

Nov 6, 2014, 3:52:08 PM11/6/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Myth Buster,

could you also share the kernel patches or even better a github forked from kernel 3.17.1 with your commits?

Thanks
Mauro