How shall I unroot my 9.0-r1 from stock image ?

NovHak

Mar 19, 2020, 6:39:37 PM3/19/20
to Android-x86
Dear group readers,

I have my 9.0-r1 running satisfyingly performance-wise under qemu 4.2.0 with virtglrenderer 0.8.2 (my only problem being the inability to take pictures with my webcam (with the Camera app), but taking videos work, strangely enough, but that's another problem).

I installed from the readymade image, which is considered rooted by the Play Store, making some apps unavailable, having to resort to dubious sources if I ever want to install them.

Unless I unroot, that is. What shall I do to achieve this ?

I tried a few things with no success :
  • setprop persist.sys.root_access 0
  • changing "test-keys" to "release-keys" everywhere I saw the string in the properties, maybe I missed some places but I doubt it's really useful actually
  • changing "userdebug" to "user" in all properties, but as for the previous one, I doubt it's really necessary
  • pm set-permission-enforced android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER false
  • remove /system/bin/su
  • delete the whole /system/xbin directory
So, all those changes together + reboot didn't change that Playstore hiding applications problem. I had the system installed with /system being read-only, so I performed changes on the squashfs image.

Any ideas ? Did anyone achieve unrooting ? Or is it an impossible task without recompiling ?

I noticed there are maybe other things I should do, such as setting a serial number (modifying ro.serialno I suppose), and maybe having ro.product.manufacturer set as QEMU isn't ideal, but there must be some rules about this and ideally I would like to modify only what is strictly necessary.

Your advices are welcome.

Leonardo Stacchini

Mar 27, 2020, 12:21:29 PM3/27/20
to Android-x86
Hi,

I solved this issue following this guide:

Magisk let you hide root to apps that don't work on rooted device. Notice that you have to install Linux to another PC, because you have to send commands to terminal.

Bye!

NovHak

Apr 2, 2020, 12:12:14 PM4/2/20
to Android-x86
Thanks for the information ! Ideally I would prefer to actually remove root and know exactly the steps to do, but if it works it's a good start. Linux isn't a problem, it's my main OS already.

NovHak

Apr 19, 2020, 11:51:56 PM4/19/20
to Android-x86
I finally tried Magisk, and both ctsProfile and basicIntegrity checks fail. So I know there have been some recent changes from Google, but if I'm correct it only affects the ctsProfile check. Of course I activated Magisk Hide, repackaged to a random name, ran a complete unroot from SuperSU, but still both tests fail. If at least I could achieve basicIntegrity, but I'm at a loss...

Leonardo, did you really achieve that with current 9.0-r2 ?