Can I run Android-x86 using an image file similar to Android emulator without installation?

Ye Roger

Mar 6, 2015, 1:58:30 AM3/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I want to run Androix-x86 using QEMU/kvm to test a customized Android image. Can I run it using an image file mount to an ext4 mount point just like Android emulator ? In that case, I can just copy and paste anything to that folder directly.

Ron M

Mar 6, 2015, 5:47:14 AM3/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Your question is very unclear.
What are you trying to achieve:
1. Run Android-X86 on qemu/KVM ( you can then just  do something like "kvm --cdrom android_x86.iso -vga std", and then provide a "qemu=1" parameter on the command line (for lollipop-x86) or use VESA for the released versions)

OR

2. Run an AOSP system.img , on top of Android-X86?  For the latter you will have to build your ramdisk.img and build the kernel to support QEMU per-se, and you'll need to copy whatever blobs are needed to  /system/lib/...

Please be more clear and it will be easier to help you.

-Ron Munitz

Ye Roger

Mar 11, 2015, 5:36:02 AM3/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
What I want is to run an image from Android-x86 build directly, not AOSP system.img. The only way that I can run Android-x86 right now is to install it to a disk image using ISO image. That is very much like a PC behave. After we build Android-x86, there is a system.img as well. Is there a way to run the build from Android-x86 system.img directly without installation ? That is a behave much like what we do in the Embedded System world.

Antony Stone

Mar 11, 2015, 5:41:28 AM3/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 11 March 2015 at 10:22:23 (EU time), Ye Roger wrote:

> What I want is to run an image from Android-x86 build directly, not AOSP
> system.img. The only way that I can run Android-x86 right now is to install
> it to a disk image using ISO image. That is very much like a PC behave.
> After we build Android-x86, there is a system.img as well. Is there a way
> to run the build from Android-x86 system.img directly without installation?

Yes - all Android-x86 images can run both as a live system and as an
installer.

For the live system, you just boot from the Android image, and it runs,
without installing to any other medium.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

- Douglas Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.