ARM Native bridge

Alex Anderson

Jun 15, 2017, 11:29:04 AM6/15/17
to Android-x86
Hi! I have a question about ARM native bridge used in Android x86.
IIRC Android x86 use Intel's binary translator - Houdini, right?
Also I use Nox app player on my Windows machine to run apks. And after some investigations I figured out that it's modified VirtualBox VM with custom Android image. This Android are x86 and use Houdini to run apks with ARM native libs too.
But some games (especially based on UE4) works fine in Nox but just crashes on Android x86. Why this can happen? I suppose that Nox and Android x86 uses different version f Houdini and/or system native libs?

Povilas Staniulis

Jun 15, 2017, 7:30:16 PM6/15/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Fun fact is that most Android emulators (except maybe BlueStacks) are
basically custom frontends for modified VirtualBox.

As for the crashes, it could be video driver related rather than
Houdini. UE4 is a very recent engine.

Alex Anderson

Jun 16, 2017, 3:22:20 AM6/16/17
to Android-x86
Yeah, I'm not so sure about Houdini. But according logs from app tombstone (one attached) EGL initialisation returns success code.

On 2017.06.15 18:29, Alex Anderson wrote:
> Hi! I have a question about ARM native bridge used in Android x86.
> IIRC Android x86 use Intel's binary translator - Houdini, right?
> Also I use Nox app player on my Windows machine to run apks. And after
> some investigations I figured out that it's modified VirtualBox VM
> with custom Android image. This Android are x86 and use Houdini to run
> apks with ARM native libs too.
> But some games (especially based on UE4) works fine in Nox but just
> crashes on Android x86. Why this can happen? I suppose that Nox and
> Android x86 uses different version f Houdini and/or system native libs?
> --
tombstone_00