Can you fix the VirtualBoxHowTo?

Lior W.

Mar 25, 2019, 5:13:59 PM3/25/19
to Android-x86
I'm using the word "fix" because Android-x86 is unusable in Virtualbox without some fixes to http://www.android-x86.org/documents/virtualboxhowto:
  1. [System] Optional: Processor(s) may be set above 1 if you have more than one virtual processor in your host system. It is uncertain whether or not this has any affect on Android-x86, be it positive or negative.
    I can't stress how not optional and certain it is. 1 CPU means you think everything is good, but every single app (e.g. Chrome) gets crushed if you try to use it.
    Worse still, no errors pop up which can make you think you imagine those crushes. But as soon as you use >1 CPUs than you can actually use Android-X86.
  2. [Display] Optional: Enable 3D Acceleration may be checked. The Linux Guest Additions may need to be installed to get any benefit from this.
    Maybe that's optional, but what is not optional is switching the default VMSVGA to VBoxVGA.
    Failure to do so means you won't even be able to launch Android-X86 in the first place. Luckily, this solution can be found in https://superuser.com/questions/1395714/dont-boot-in-gui-but-just-in-command-line.
    In fact, https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E97728_01/F12470/html/gui-changes.html clearly states:
    Note that you must install the Guest Additions on the guest VM to specify the VBoxSVGA or VMSVGA graphics controller.
    But your manual doesn't instruct to install the Guest Additions to support the default VMSVGA. In any case they don't seem to fit to Android-x86: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-linux
Thanks!

Chih-Wei Huang

Mar 27, 2019, 10:32:22 PM3/27/19
to Android-x86
First of all, thank you for pointing out these.

Honestly speaking, the documents are unmaintained.
If you can help improve it, let me know.

Lior W. <lwc...@gmail.com> 於 2019年3月26日 週二 上午5:14寫道:
--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Lior W.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:44:05 AM3/28/19
to Android-x86
I sure can. If you give me access, I'll make sure it includes what I wrote above and I'll even include screenshots.

Lior W.

May 3, 2019, 11:26:47 AM5/3/19
to Android-x86