kitkat x86 4.4 issue (module missing)

Richard Savijn

Feb 25, 2014, 6:02:38 PM2/25/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I'm very happy with 4.4.. However I run my androids on a hyper-V platform.
4.2 had I minor bug that I fixed with a post from someone else because it didn't loaded the appropriate HV modules. After that 4.2 runs like a charm on hyper-v.

4.3 and now 4.4 directly installs without modifications on hyper-v however performance is degraded .
I looked further in to that and found out that the kernel drivers module in the folder HV called hv_utils and HV_VMBUS no longer exists in 4.3 and 4.4.
This is the exact reason why performance is degraded on hyper_v and mouse integration disk integration (snapshots) etc.. is no longer functioning.

I'm looking for some help to get the correct modules in 4.4 working so you would have a great x86 virtualization support for 4.4 as well ...

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 26, 2014, 2:28:17 AM2/26/14
to Android-x86
I just checked. The hyper-v driver was moved out from staging.
That's why the new config missed it.
Will add it in the next release.

You may also refer to the CustomizeKernel page
to enable and build it yourself.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Richard Savijn

May 4, 2014, 9:57:12 AM5/4/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi ,

Thxs for your answer.

After trying to get 4.4.2 RC2 working I almost found a workable solution.
In 4.4.2 RC1 and RC2 I'm still having these issues although the modules are present.
When I boot in live cd and go to terminal and do:

modprobe hid_hyperv
modprobe hv_balloon
modprobe hv_storvsc
modprobe hv_netvsc
modprobe hv_utils

The correct modules are loaded... However now I run into the next I can successfully detect and format and install Android but at reboot it can't detect Android.
The modules are needed at startup but not loaded automatically.

Please help ... SO I can write a workaround for users using Hyper-V ...

Regards,

Richard

Richard Savijn

May 14, 2014, 5:40:38 AM5/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I can successfully run 4.4.2 from the CD and have all the needed modules.
After building my .iso with my  defconfig

However I still can't install it on my harddisk.
If I manually modprobe  hv_vmbus _ hv_storsvc then it finds it harddrive and can install but I can't boot from harddisk when it reboots.

I found that the hyper-v guest services and especially the VM_storvsc module unloads the IDE / ATA (PIIX etc..) drivers after starting and makes them SCSI...

This gives issues during boot process.

I think I have to preload the hv_vmbus _ hv_storsvc as early as possible in the boot process.

But how do I do this???

Thxs in advance!

Chih-Wei Huang

May 14, 2014, 8:38:08 AM5/14/14
to Android-x86
> I can successfully run 4.4.2 from the CD and have all the needed modules.
> After building my .iso with my defconfig
>
> However I still can't install it on my harddisk.
> If I manually modprobe hv_vmbus _ hv_storsvc then it finds it harddrive and
> can install but I can't boot from harddisk when it reboots.
>
> I found that the hyper-v guest services and especially the VM_storvsc module
> unloads the IDE / ATA (PIIX etc..) drivers after starting and makes them
> SCSI...
>
> This gives issues during boot process.
>
> I think I have to preload the hv_vmbus _ hv_storsvc as early as possible in
> the boot process.

Two ways:
1. Set them built-in (CONFIG = y)
2. Copy them into the initrd and load the them by init.
It later requires more effort and knowledge of the booting process.

Richard Savijn

May 14, 2014, 9:19:37 AM5/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
OK,

1. I already put them in in the config = y
2. If is understand this correctly I  have to patch init script in order to load them before it will try to find the disk. I just add insmod hv_vmbus.ko and insmod hv_storvsc.ko before the echo Detecting Android-x86...line

Rebuilding it now...

Thxs, I will see how that works out..

Richard Savijn

May 14, 2014, 2:23:02 PM5/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Nope ... same issue...

Richard Savijn

May 14, 2014, 2:24:27 PM5/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Nope same issue...

+ exec
+ exec
detecting android ..........................................................

mail....@gmail.com

May 30, 2014, 3:48:16 AM5/30/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue (Windows 8.1 + Hyper V + Android_x86_4.4_RC2), and now running OK (installed on vhdx),  the solution is in

http://latenightcodehacking.blogspot.it/2013/07/installing-android-x86-version-42-on.html

Following "as is" step by step didn't work for me, I did some minor modifications:

- To modify the initrd.img, I had to start Android_x86 live iso in debug mode (repeat the modprobe command), because the terminal emulator didn't show sda1 (despite lsmod shows that hv_ modules are loaded)
- The option -t ext3 for mount command shows error, but it works ok without that option
- Used vi in order to put the insmod commands inn their correct position (just before detecting android echo)
- I have tried several times, all successful except one, but got it working attaching the Android_x86.vhdx to a new virtual machine (Linux Live iso) and modifying the initrd there (the linux live mounts the Android vhdx itself)

Chris Catlett

Jul 13, 2014, 5:00:21 PM7/13/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com