Bridge Wifi

Ron Farber

Oct 2, 2014, 3:18:42 AM10/2/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Im running Android x86 in virtualbox on a tablet and on my desktop PC. Im guessing several apps look for the wifi connection and they don't function because they are looking for the wifi adapter even though there is internet through the virtualization. Many check to see if wifi is "on" or not. I understand the wifi adapter itself will not work but how difficult would it be to have a setting to trick the system into thinking the network (if there is one) is wifi. I think that would help in several ways for apps that are designed to look for "wifi" even though with something like Android-x86 they may not need wifi due to virtual network and hard wired connections. One app for example is my harmony remote app. It sends a signal to the hub via the network yet the app looks for wifi only as opposed to looking on the network. It would be great to send the signal through my network right from my virtual android on pc or windows tablet but I cant because of this so I have to use my android wifi phone.

Sure I could talk to logitech about it, but I believe there are many other apps that look for the wifi adapter automatically instead of simply checking for a network connection. Would this be something that could be added in a build of Android x86 or would you say this is something for the developers of all the virtualization solutions to have to address. Or would it be something every single app maker would need to address now that apps that used to look for wifi devices wont necessarily have to run on wifi anymore?

Am i way off base with my logic?