Installing android x86 on a windows tablet

Jan Kadera

Oct 24, 2014, 2:24:51 AM10/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
before I start, I'd like to point out two things:
1) You will probably feel like you solved this topic a zilion times
2) I feel like every solution I found on the internet doesn't apply to me for some unknown reason.
So please keep those in mind, as I will and if you'd be so kind try to help me out here.

I have Elitepad 900 Tablet from HP with 32bit atom processor.
The step I wasn't able to beat (for a couple of months) is quite the beginning.
I can't boot from an USB device.

Now there can be actually plenty of reasons why is that.
1) The tablet itself doesn't have any USB ports, I have it covered in something called extension jacket, which provides USB ports among other things - but the bios, or whatever crap is there instead (UEFI?), doesn't have to be able to see those extension USB ports.
2) Some tutorials led me to another possible problem. I would have to disable "Secure boot" in UEFI, create UEFI 32bit bootable USB flash drive and proceed. Well, those tutorials are quite nice, except the option to disable secure boot is not available on my tablet.

I have Windows 8.1, everything legal. It's whatever came in the package...therefore nothing fancy in addition.

The first piece of advice I could use from you guys is which direction should I choose to start revealing what the really problem is.
I would prefer removing all MS and UEFI crap at all and do it the old-good way, but I guess there is no way for me to do so :/

Thank you in advance for any advices!
/Jan

rbg

Oct 24, 2014, 7:48:37 PM10/24/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
assume your using the extension jacket that provides USB ports

assume you have read the user guide re:

Chapter 10 backup and Recovery

Changing the boot device order
To change the boot order so that you can boot from an external device:

   Tap F9 Boot Options.
   Select the external flash drive as the boot device.
   Restart the tablet.

Chapter 11 HP BIOS Settings

Secure Boot Tap on or off.

Jan Kadera

Oct 27, 2014, 2:44:21 AM10/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
firstly - you assumed right.

But as I hope, I mentioned before, the conventional ways to do things don't cover my case for some reason.
Therefore:

Regarding the Chapter 11 of user guide: That absolutely doesn't reflext what's going on in that settings. There is no option to do anything about secure boot.
What I found on the internet was a different approach. It was to go through something like:
PC Settings ... -> Troubleshooting -> ... -> Restart to change UEFI settings.
That don't work for me either. I see the settings all the way, but when I hit Restart, or OK or whatever, I'll get the computer restarted. No settings.
But!
During one of my previous unsucessful attempts I installed an app from HP, I believe, that adds a configuring application for "BIOS" and there I can change the boot order and set up secure boot.
Which I did, obviously, but I don't think it has done any difference.
Like I said, it's hard for me to guess, what piece of the puzzle is broken, so I don't want to point fingers. But I still believe, that I have the setup right, but everyone and every manual out there is missing one thing to setup.
No reason to think that, sure, it's just my experience with this sort of issue. So...any ideas?

About the boot order.
You might be surprised, but the user guide again doesn't reflect what's going on. And yes, your feeling that I don't really like user guides is not a feeling.
Anyway, I can succesfully load up the "what I'm going to boot from". Which I consider pretty stupid, since I've set up the boot order in the tool from HP, plus it was working like that for at least 20 year not...but anyway.
I load it up and it only offers me something like "Bootloader OS"
That happened to me before, but I was thinking that it's due to the secure boot. And again. No reason to think that.

But!
This time I used a different USB stick, and it was glowing while booting, that means that the tablet can work with USB's in the jacket

Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'm all ears.
Thank you
Jan

Jan Kadera

Oct 27, 2014, 6:41:02 AM10/27/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
One more update.
I followed the userguide exactly (Volume down + Power) and I got to the booting menu.
There is and option to Enable secure boot - is it disabled?
And also there is a picker to choose where to boot from...but that still don't offer the USB stick.

Can I have a wrong stick?
Wron version of Andoid maybe?
/Jan