New AMD Navi GPUs dont work

Oğuz Kıymacı

Oct 16, 2019, 4:56:21 AM10/16/19
to Android-x86
New AMD Navi GPUs dont work. Please update drivers.
RX 5700
RX 5700 XT
etc.
Thanks.

Mauro Rossi

Oct 16, 2019, 8:12:14 AM10/16/19
to Android-x86
Hi,
For Navi 10 kernel 5.3, firmwares updated, mesa 19.2 are not yet updated in android-x86 repo

You could try to use the following kernel 5.3, mesa 19.3.0-devel experimental ISO by installing via 'nomodeset' parameter (VESA mode) with Swiftshader,
then update the firmwares installed in /system/lib/firmware, but it may not work due to higher llvm version required. (the problem would appear as a mosaic of colors instead of Bootanimation, but I never tried as I don't have Navi 10 HW)

If llvm 9.0 updated version is required, that is available for pie-x86 branch and later.
I can give you instructions on how to build an ISO with updated kernel, firmwares, mesa

If you do not want to experiment, then I guess you need to wait for the necessary dependencies in kernel, firmware, mesa that may be going to happen, in the future, in the android-x86 repo for branches in development
(pie-x86 or q-x86)

Mauro
Message has been deleted

Oğuz Kıymacı

Oct 16, 2019, 3:40:08 PM10/16/19
to Android-x86
Please write instructions. Thanks.

Mauro Rossi

Oct 17, 2019, 3:08:59 AM10/17/19
to Android-x86

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 9:40:08 PM UTC+2, Oğuz Kıymacı wrote:
Please write instructions. Thanks.

Source preparation script:

mkdir ~/pie-x86_kernel/
cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/
repo init
-u git://git.osdn.net/gitroot/android-x86/manifest -b pie-x86

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/
repo sync
--no-tags --no-clone-bundle

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/art
git revert
--no-edit f60525793a1fd784ce7de82f18e7ad9de242c431

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/external/libdrm
git remote add maurossi https
://github.com/maurossi/drm
git fetch maurossi
2.4.99_android-x86
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/external/mesa
git remote add maurossi https
://github.com/maurossi/mesa
git fetch maurossi
19.2.1_pie-x86
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/external/kernel-drivers
git remote add maurossi https
://github.com/maurossi/kernel-drivers
git fetch maurossi kernel
-5.1
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/kernel
git remote add maurossi https
://github.com/maurossi/linux
git fetch maurossi kernel
-5.3_si_next
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

cd
~/pie-x86_kernel/device/generic/firmware
git remote add maurossi https
://github.com/maurossi/device_generic_firmware
git fetch maurossi navi14_19
.30
git checkout FETCH_HEAD

Oğuz Kıymacı

Oct 17, 2019, 4:17:20 AM10/17/19
to Android-x86
How to build an ISO with updated kernel?

Mauro Rossi

Oct 17, 2019, 4:54:01 AM10/17/19
to Android-x86
Hi,

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 10:17:20 AM UTC+2, Oğuz Kıymacı wrote:
How to build an ISO with updated kernel?

Instructions are on the main https://www.android-x86.org website,
however I'm already building, it did not finished yet.

I will post the link to my Google Drive when x86_64 pie-x86 ISO with kernel 5.3, mesa 19.2.1 and the updated firmwares for amdgpu,
in order to facilitate you

Mauro

Oğuz Kıymacı

Oct 17, 2019, 6:23:34 AM10/17/19
to Android-x86
Thank you very much :)

Kai Wu

Nov 21, 2019, 10:50:46 PM11/21/19
to Android-x86
hi, Mauro:

   thanks for the script, it's exactly what i need, but there is so many branches in you git repo, would you tell me what's the diff between si_ylng and si_next.

在 2019年10月17日星期四 UTC+8下午3:08:59,Mauro Rossi写道:

Mauro Rossi

Nov 22, 2019, 9:03:11 AM11/22/19
to Android-x86
Hi,
the different rc(s) are due to linux rc(s), of course, just use the latest

si_next: minimal changes to mainstream kernel to build with android-x86

si_ylng: the above minimal changes applied on top of youling257 branches,
these were used to keep "xt quota guid" which is necessary in pie-x86 to avoid traffic controller issues due to imperfect eBFP implementation that would lead to crashes or Google Playstore downloads freeze - If you plan to build pie-x86 use this one kernel-5.4rc8_si_ylng

Note: if you want to try the experimental AMD DC support for SI, you need to enable in the arch/x86/configs/ ...defconfig file

Mauro

Kai Wu

Nov 23, 2019, 1:23:34 AM11/23/19
to Android-x86
Ok, I get it now, thanks  :)

在 2019年11月22日星期五 UTC+8下午10:03:11,Mauro Rossi写道:

junn

Feb 15, 2020, 10:08:57 AM2/15/20
to Android-x86
Hello

I used the 9.0-rc2 (kernel was replaced 5.5). It worked with Ryzen 5 3400G iGPU.
Then I added the Radeon RX5700 into this system.
It could boot and home screen was displayed but it keeps showing "System UI keeps stopping".
In logcat, error messages as follows appear many times.
OpenGLRenderer: Device claims wide gamut support, cannot find matching config, error = EGL_SUCCESS

I also tried mesa 19.3.3 (and latest firmware obtained from linux-firmware.git) with 9.0-rc2. It worked almost fine with Ryzen 5 3400G iGPU and the graphics performance has clearly improved compared to original 9.0-rc2, unfortunately Radeon RX5700 still did not work.
Whereas,  Radeon RX5700 work when using nomodeset kernel option (of course, graphic performance is poor).

Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you

Mauro Rossi

Feb 16, 2020, 3:27:28 AM2/16/20
to Android-x86

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 4:08:57 PM UTC+1, junn wrote:
Hello

I used the 9.0-rc2 (kernel was replaced 5.5). It worked with Ryzen 5 3400G iGPU.

Hi, could you please send me the kernel defconfig you have used?
I have an Athlon 200GE with MSI B450M-A PRO MAX, but it freezes systematically at 'modprobe amdgpu'

Then I added the Radeon RX5700 into this system.
It could boot and home screen was displayed but it keeps showing "System UI keeps stopping".
In logcat, error messages as follows appear many times.
OpenGLRenderer: Device claims wide gamut support, cannot find matching config, error = EGL_SUCCESS

This message does not have any negative effect
Could you please provide me /data/log.txt and output of dmesg?
Thanks

junn

Feb 16, 2020, 8:09:00 AM2/16/20
to Android-x86
Hi Mauro. Thank you for your reply.

I have attached three files.
log.txt, dmesg output and android-x86_64_defconfig
This android-x86_64_defconfig file is based on your github code. I made very small changes to it.
This kernel looks like roughly okay with Ryzen 5 3400G, but I don't know these changes are correct or not.
FYI, I'm using MSI B350I PRO AC.

Thank you

2020年2月16日日曜日 17時27分28秒 UTC+9 Mauro Rossi:
log.txt
dmesg.txt
android-x86_64_defconfig

Mauro Rossi

Feb 17, 2020, 12:31:41 PM2/17/20
to Android-x86

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 2:09:00 PM UTC+1, junn wrote:
Hi Mauro. Thank you for your reply.

I have attached three files.
log.txt, dmesg output and android-x86_64_defconfig
This android-x86_64_defconfig file is based on your github code. I made very small changes to it.
This kernel looks like roughly okay with Ryzen 5 3400G, but I don't know these changes are correct or not.
FYI, I'm using MSI B350I PRO AC.

Sorry for off-topic but I've been chasing the HW Accelerated boot with Ryzen for months

What BIOS version are you using on your motherboard?

In my case I am using the one with "Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54)" capability

I wanted to check if you may be using an older or same capability level,
in order to consider a BIOS downgrade

Thanks

junn

Feb 18, 2020, 7:25:37 AM2/18/20
to Android-x86
Hi,

My MB(MSI B350I PRO AC)'s BIOS version is "E7A40AMS.1CM" that released on 30.07.2019.

I don’t know that is related or not, I was unable to use Android-x86 official ISO image (nougat, oreo and pie) with Ryzen iGPU until now. In order to use Ryzen iGPU, it was always necessary to change the kernel.
For example, I couldn't get Ryzen 5 2400G iGPU (a.k.a Raven Ridge) to work with oreo-x86, but I could get it to work just by changing the kernel to 4.18 (kernel config must be changed to "DCN1_0=y"). In the case of nougat-x86 and pie-x86 similarly, the kernel had to be changed if I want to use Ryzen iGPU.
This seems a little bit strange considering that recent android-x86 images use kernel 4.19.

Thank you

2020年2月18日火曜日 2時31分41秒 UTC+9 Mauro Rossi:

Mauro Rossi

Feb 20, 2020, 4:11:54 AM2/20/20
to Android-x86
Hi Junn,

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 1:25:37 PM UTC+1, junn wrote:
Hi,

My MB(MSI B350I PRO AC)'s BIOS version is "E7A40AMS.1CM" that released on 30.07.2019.

This BIOS is equivalent to mine, but I cannot load amdgpu (with amd dc support) without systematic freeze.

Have you changed some configuration in your BIOS compared to default settings?

[...]

I changed it in the last 5.5rc cycle, have you used the latest one, it seams there are consistent changes in the defconfig you uploaded here

If that does not work, as an additional attempt, in case some of my AMD DC for Southern Islands may interfere with Navi, which is only a remote possibility if I recall correctly,
would you like to try to remove or revert them in your builds?

The list of commits is like %drm/amd/display:% in https://github.com/maurossi/linux/commits/kernel-5.5_si_ylng
Mauro

junn

Feb 22, 2020, 10:36:09 AM2/22/20
to Android-x86
Hi,

About android-x86_64_defconfig file, I compared it with the latest your github file.
There were many differences so I think that I probably used an old file.

I did build kernel by referring to the instructions at the following URL.

mkdir 1
cd 1
git init
git checkout FETCH_HEAD
git fetch linux linux-5.5.y
git rebase linux/linux-5.5.y
make android-x86_64_defconfig -C . O=../64
cd ../64
time make targz-pkg -i -j8

I did rebase to make the latest kernel. Some conflicts occurred, that were handled with "git rebase --skip". And I did build using android_x86_64_defconfig as shown earlier.
This kernel could not be built with the android-x86 toolchain. I only could build kernel individually. And if I use new android-x86_64_defconfig file from your github, it could not get to build kernel individually.

I found that if I remove system/priv-app/SystemUI/SystemUI.apk, system can work with Radeon RX 5700.  Of course, it could not be used for normal use. Anyway it could work and I could get to work some apps (e.g. 3DMark).
Does this suggest that SystemUI.apk needs some update in order to use Radeon RX 5700?

Thank you

2020年2月20日木曜日 18時11分54秒 UTC+9 Mauro Rossi:

Mauro Rossi

Mar 17, 2020, 8:38:50 PM3/17/20
to Android-x86
Hi,
pie-x86 experimental iso have been uploaded here:

To people who were interested in trying with Navi, Raven - Athlon 200GE working for me :-)
Please I need a few community users to check if they boot, when you have time, and provide feedbacks

kernel 5.6rc6 with AMD DC support for Southern Island
mesa 20.1.0-devel
LLVM 10.0.0-rc4

Mauro

Daniel Holmstrom

Nov 18, 2020, 7:26:22 PM11/18/20
to Android-x86
Late to the party, I know, but I tried your 5.6 compile on my Ryzen 4650u 2-in-1, but was still met with a blank screen after selecting boot option(s).

Android-x86

Nov 19, 2020, 3:36:54 AM11/19/20
to Android-x86
>Hi,
>pie-x86 experimental iso have been uploaded here:
>
>To people who were interested in trying with Navi, Raven - Athlon 200GE working for me :-)
>Please I need a few community users to check if they boot on AMD GPU/APU HW  and provide feedbacks

A new iso with kernel-5.8, mesa 21.0.0-devel and llvm 11 has been uploaded

On Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 7:38:50 PM UTC-5 issor...@gmail.com wrote:

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 10:56:21 AM UTC+2, Oğuz Kıymacı wrote:
New AMD Navi GPUs dont work. Please update drivers.
RX 5700
RX 5700 XT
etc.
Thanks.

Feedback on these new AMD GPUs families would be appreciated

I am trying to collect actual confirmations that the following graphics stacks are working:

drm_gralloc (default)
gbm_gralloc
drmfb-composer
drm-hwcomposer
minigbm
hwcomposer.drm_minigbm

NOTE: these options can be selected in the inital grub/EFI menu

Daniel Holmstrom

Nov 20, 2020, 2:34:50 PM11/20/20
to Android-x86
You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir.  Unfortunately, I was met with the same blank screen for all boot options.   It booted fine on my Ryzen 5 2400g desktop (with some ghost touch issues) and also on an old i5 laptop.
I don't have much experience debugging, but if you tell me where to look I would be happy to get any info you need, etc.

Mauro Rossi

Nov 22, 2020, 10:55:23 AM11/22/20
to Android-x86
Hello,
I don't know the difference between Ryzen 4650u and the other where iso image works

In order to collect log.txt and tombstones are described in the following thread:

Using DATA=/dev/block/sd?1 kernel cmdline is the simpler and requires an empty ext4 formatted drive,
but you need to start with 'busybox mount /dev/block/sd?1 x' way in order to indentify your USB flash drive letter

If you have a normal USB flash drive to collect log.txt, busybox mount procedure requires some commands,
but it's not difficult.

Mauro

Daniel Holmstrom

Nov 22, 2020, 10:02:51 PM11/22/20
to Android-x86
Thank you for taking the time, but unfortunately I am missing some basic knowledge.
1. I am assuming that Alt-F1 gets me to a shell?  But I cannot see anything on the screen after booting begins, so I am not sure how I would access this.
2. I have an ext3 flash drive, but where am I running the busybox command?  I have no experience with busybox.
3. I tried the DATA command in the grub command prompt with my best guess as to which device the flash drive is (sda) and nothing was returned.  Nothing showed up on the flash drive after waiting for a full [video-less] boot.

Apologies that I will probably be more hindrance than help...

Daniel Holmstrom

Mar 17, 2021, 10:50:06 AM3/17/21
to Android-x86
Just an update:  The most current cm-x86-14.1-r5 version boots with image and all seems good on Yoga 6 -  except WIFI.  Apparently the Intel AX200 chip is not supported until kernel 5.1?  So, just a matter of time until things work themselves out.

crw

Mar 19, 2021, 11:38:56 AM3/19/21
to Android-x86
Newer ryzen and intel 10th generation SoC need newer kernel. So I install kernel 5.10.9 with custom recovery replacement for android x86, even 11th gen hardware works then. You can also try an iso with kernel 5.8.

john s wolter

Mar 19, 2021, 11:56:43 AM3/19/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Subject line edit: New AMD Navi GPUs doesn't work

Have a nice day.

Cheers, John S. Wolter
COVID-19 Negative
Final COVID-19 dose March 19 then + 21 days to complete antibody creation process April 9, 2021
Wolter Works, LLC
EMail: johns...@wolterworks.com
LinkedIn: John S Wolter, johnswolter

COVID-19 Negative

Antony Stone

Mar 19, 2021, 12:06:58 PM3/19/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 19 March 2021 at 16:55:52, john s wolter wrote:

> Subject line edit: New AMD Navi GPUs *doesn't* work

Why? Isn't "GPUs" plural?

I would simply add an apostrophe to "don't".

Antony.

--
There's a good theatrical performance about puns on in the West End. It's a
play on words.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Daniel Holmstrom

Mar 19, 2021, 12:38:39 PM3/19/21
to Android-x86
@crw
That's great and I understand that, however I do not have enough knowledge to go about installing a different kernel in Android x86, let alone without an internet connection (because the wifi is the only thing not working and there is no ethernet port).  I also do not know how to find or compile an iso with a specific kernel.  So unless someone is willing to help me out with that (please?) I am happy to wait until a release includes a recent enough kernel to work for me.