Can't boot to android x86

Saber Hosney

Jan 1, 2019, 12:01:52 PM1/1/19
to Android-x86
Hello , I used unetbootin to make a bootable usb with android-x86_64-8.1-rc2.iso which is the latest thing , Seems the boot loader booted just fine , now when I press on ANY of the options there for example : LiveCD try androidx86 without installation , it says detecting androidx86 then the screen turns off then turns on again , and the loader stuck on androidx86-x64: something like this , so after some search I found it's issue related to my GPU and the fix is playing with those boot arguments : nomodeset , xforcevesa , so I tried each one alone , and both together , and I found some hope now it stuck on black screen with underscore on upper left and the screen blinks a lot !

so wtf is wrong with it ? I saw someone using the same iso I have with a laptop older than my PC and works just fine , also this system built on linux right ? I use latest Ubuntu and some other linux distos just fine with the same GPU , so is there a fix for that ?

Mauro Rossi

Jan 1, 2019, 7:41:21 PM1/1/19
to Android-x86
Hi,

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 6:01:52 PM UTC+1, Saber Hosney wrote:
[...]

unetbootin is not much reliable, try with mkusb or Rufus if you're using Windows

Info on you laptop and GPU model are essential to understand the issue, for example Nvidia GPU do not work,
because of instability and lack of thread safety of the nouveau driver, even if you would not believe it,
I am waiting as they say "on the side of the river" to see nouveau crash like crazy on wayland, so maybe finally the nouveau developers
will fix the damned thread safety problem affecting nouveau since the beginning of its existence.

As we speak drm/noubveau in kernel also spits huge low level errors with any of the Nvidia GPUs
and the thing that drives me crazy is that the debug logs do not have information in them,
how are debug logs supposed to be used if they say nothing?!

I would say that it is betten not having nouveau support in android-x86 it we need to suffer like we did in the last 12-18 months.

Mauro

Saber Hosney

Jan 4, 2019, 8:46:32 AM1/4/19
to Android-x86
[...]

I have and AMD gpu , AMD Radeon HD 6450 , and Intel Core 2 duo e7600 for the record .

So I guess I'm good to run android-x86  :\

also is there a way to save the log ? when I type logcat it prints a lot  a lot of text , but it retype the text so quickly so  I can't read it
anyway tell me what you think , by the time I write this I'm going to try Rufus and post back .

Mauro Rossi

Jan 4, 2019, 3:39:18 PM1/4/19
to Android-x86
Hi,

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 2:46:32 PM UTC+1, Saber Hosney wrote:
[...]

On a Core 2 Duo you can run only x86 32bit iso
Mauro

Saber Hosney

Jan 5, 2019, 6:22:43 AM1/5/19
to Android-x86

On a Core 2 Duo you can run only x86 32bit iso
    Mauro

Why is that ? my processor support 64bit and I already run a 64bit version of windows and linux .

Mauro Rossi

Jan 5, 2019, 9:58:10 AM1/5/19
to Android-x86
Android ABI constraint, please check in the forum, it is quite some time we're repeating this fact.
Kind regards

Mauro

Antony Stone

Jan 5, 2019, 10:38:40 AM1/5/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday 05 January 2019 at 15:58:10, Mauro Rossi wrote:

> Android ABI constraint, please check in the forum, it is quite some time
> we're repeating this fact.

This sounds very close to the question I asked yesterday:

On Friday 04 January 2019 at 17:24:53, Antony Stone wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've been looking around http://www.android-x86.org - specifically pages
> such as:
>
> http://www.android-x86.org/documents
> http://www.android-x86.org/documents/installhowto
> http://www.android-x86.org/download
> http://www.android-x86.org/releases
>
> trying to find out what are the minimum platform requirements for running
> various releases of Android-x86 (such as CPU type / capabilities, GPU type,
> minimum RAM, minimum disk size).
>
> Am I missing the magic page which tells me "to run version X of
> Android-x86, you need the following minimum spec machine", or is this
> information buried in individual documentation for each release?
>
> Either way, where can I find it?
>
> Essentially, I'm trying to work out two things:
>
> 1. If I have a machine and I know all its specs, how can I identify the
> highest version of Android-x86 which I can run on it?
>
> 2. If I want to buy a machine to run a particular version of Android-x86
> on, where can I find the specs I need to make sure I meet?

So, where _can_ this information be found, please?

If the answer to that question is "please check in the forum", where is that
located?

Antony.

--
My life is going completely according to plan.

I do sometimes wish it had been *my* plan, though.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Michael Goffioul

Jan 5, 2019, 11:26:26 AM1/5/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
For reference (as I was looking at this recently), the ABI requirements for each CPU type are listed here:

If your CPU does not support all requirements for 64-bits, you definitely want to run 32 bits instead. Although it may be possible to recompile android-x86 with a reduced instruction set, applications downloaded from play store (or other app store) may use the full instruction set as defined by Google and will fail to run.

Antony Stone

Jan 6, 2019, 9:43:02 AM1/6/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday 05 January 2019 at 17:26:07, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> For reference (as I was looking at this recently), the ABI requirements for
> each CPU type are listed here:
> https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/abis

Ah, thanks.

So, does that mean there is a single set of CPU requirements for Android-x86
64bit, no matter which Android release (4.0-r1, 4.4, 5.1, 6.0, 7.1, 8.1 seems
to be all the non-deprecated releases at http://www.android-x86.org/download )
one tries to run?

In other words, the choice is between 64-bit (if your CPU meets all the
requirements, or 32-bit (if it doesn't), and selecting different Android-x86
releases makes no difference to compatibility - either they'll all run on your
machine or none of them will?

> If your CPU does not support all requirements for 64-bits, you definitely
> want to run 32 bits instead. Although it may be possible to recompile
> android-x86 with a reduced instruction set, applications downloaded from
> play store (or other app store) may use the full instruction set as defined
> by Google and will fail to run.

Makes sense.

Antony.

--
There's a good theatrical performance about puns on in the West End. It's a
play on words.