Android-x86 on XEN hypervisor

ketan bhardwaj

Feb 13, 2012, 12:10:41 PM2/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I am trying to run android-x86 on XEN hypervisor as DOMU guest.

So far I am able to bring the android-x86 kernel up after a few modifications but I am unable to boot in to android.
I pass kernel & ramdisk.img as parameter to XL (XEN's domain management tool) but I am stuck at a point where the system is not able to find the required binaries in the system file. On inspection of the ramdisk, I see that indeed it is only a file system with empty folders. So i guess the binary are present in system.sfs.

I took a look at http://bootloader.wikidot.com/linux:boot:android to understand but an not clear on the process.
Could anybody summarise for me what android-x86 expects at the boot time and in what order does the booting happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

with warm regards
Ketan Bhardwaj

ketan bhardwaj

Feb 13, 2012, 12:48:09 PM2/13/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

If somebody could direct me to how & what changes do i need in the build system to copy all the required files in ramdisk.img, I guess it would serve my purpose.

ketan
--
To get a comprehensive view of my work Please visit http://sites.google.com/site/ketanbj/

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 14, 2012, 10:40:55 AM2/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Android-x86 uses a different boot procedure
than traditional android phone.
The /system is mounted in init script
of the initrd.img, not in ramdisk.img.

If you want to skip the steps in initrd.img,
you may need to change init*.rc
to mount system.sfs directly.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

ketan bhardwaj

Feb 14, 2012, 11:23:51 AM2/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chih-Wie for your response.
I will try and update.

Anyways, is there a specific reason you are aware of why system.sfs is a separate entity to mount in android as opposed to a consolidated initram as we do have in conventional linux systems OR is it a design choice ?

regards
Ketan Bhardwaj

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 14, 2012, 10:21:08 PM2/14/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
2012/2/15 ketan bhardwaj <ket...@gmail.com>:

> Thanks Chih-Wie for your response.
> I will try and update.
>
> Anyways, is there a specific reason you are aware of why system.sfs is a
> separate entity to mount in android as opposed to a consolidated initram as
> we do have in conventional linux systems OR is it a design choice ?

A design choice, of course.

Android-x86 can support any filesystem without
need to re-partition your harddrive.
That means you can make it co-exist with
other operating systems.

On the other hand, on a typical android device
you need to create a dedicated partition for
/system (and /data, /cache, ...)
That almost means you have to destroy all content
of your storage.

ketanbj

Feb 21, 2012, 1:38:14 PM2/21/12
to Android-x86
Hi Chih-Wie,

I have successfully ran android-x86 on XEN hypervisor as DOM U.
There are a couple of issue I faced:
1. Kernel config : You need to enable the xen support.
2. Init scripts: the init scripts only not look for /dev/hdaX or /dev/
sdaX for the system.sfs & ramdisk but in case of XEN the emulated
disks are exported as /dev/xvdX so I needed to change the script to
include that.

Thanks chin-Wie for your responses.

regards
Ketan Bhardwaj

On Feb 14, 10:21 pm, Chih-Wei Huang <cwhu...@android-x86.org> wrote:
> 2012/2/15 ketan bhardwaj <keta...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Thanks Chih-Wie for your response.
> > I will try and update.
>
> > Anyways, is there a specific reason you are aware of why system.sfs is a
> > separate entity to mount in android as opposed to a consolidated initram as
> > we do have in conventional linux systems OR is it a design choice ?
>
> A design choice, of course.
>
> Android-x86can support any filesystem without

ketan bhardwaj

Feb 21, 2012, 1:40:07 PM2/21/12
to Android-x86
OOps sorry I forgot to mention a very important detail.

Android-x86 is running as a paravirtualized guest as opposed to HVM guest in my case.

cheers
ketan

cep3...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2013, 5:42:28 AM3/1/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
toc, toc,
can't you ?
thank's

Le dimanche 6 janvier 2013 20:04:45 UTC+1, cep3...@gmail.com a écrit :
Hello ketanbj,
i'd like to follow your work to make an android domu on my wheezy dom0, for developping purpose.
please accept my access demand to your site,
Alain Thomas, from France (Bordeaux)

ketanbj

May 22, 2013, 4:10:24 AM5/22/13
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys, I have taken down my webpage and cannot grant you access to webpage which used to be in my signature.
But you can ask any doubt you have the forum so that others also can benefit from them.

Thanks
Ketan

Wicaksono S.

Jan 8, 2022, 9:00:18 AM1/8/22
to Android-x86
After many months of trials, in the end I have a running android-x86 as a Xen domu. I found that the kernel config file from android-x86 source code does not work, you have to use the config file from /proc/config.gz inside a running android-x86 CDROM image. And also, the standard android kernel compile procedure is too long, I have to use Linux procedure to compile the kernel.

Wicaksono

Jordan Livesey

Jan 8, 2022, 9:02:27 AM1/8/22
to andro...@googlegroups.com
understand that android is not designed to run on stuff it shouldn't its primarily designed for phones or tablets, not to mention running android on something that is not a tv, phone or tablet is not supported by google

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 10, 2022, 9:50:09 PM1/10/22
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Wicaksono S. <w_s...@hotmail.com> 於 2022年1月8日 週六 下午10:00寫道:
> After many months of trials, in the end I have a running android-x86 as a Xen domu. I found that the kernel config file from android-x86 source code does not work, you have to use the config file from /proc/config.gz inside a running android-x86 CDROM image. And also, the standard android kernel compile procedure is too long, I have to use Linux procedure to compile the kernel.

Which android-x86 version are you using?
If you can share more details, that would be great.

For the kernel configuration, I guess you missed the diffconfig part:
https://osdn.net/projects/android-x86/scm/git/device-generic-common/blobs/pie-x86/selinux_diffconfig

That is, you have to merge the config file in the kernel tree with the above one
for android-x86 7.1 or later.

Wicaksono S.

Jan 10, 2022, 11:27:51 PM1/10/22
to Android-x86
Dear Mr. CWH, I use android-x86 9.0-r2 32-bit with Xen 4.2.5. I have to use an old version of Xen because my system is still 32-bit, Xen 4.2.5 is the last version that still support 32-bit Linux. And same as Mr. Ketan above, I use PV mode of Xen. BTW I have to use standard Linux kernel compile procedure because Android compile procedure in https://www.android-x86.org/source.html is not supported in 32-bit Linux, one of the tools need 64-bit Linux.