[HELP DEV] Android x86 on C720p Acer Chromebook

Diego Gomes Coelho

Sep 16, 2014, 11:23:51 AM9/16/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Hi, I just buy a Acer C720p and I wonder if its possible to have Android-x86 running on it. Its a very nice hardware to android-x86, touch screen, long battery life and a full keyboard.

So I get the latest build (android-x86 4.4 RC2) put on a stick and boot up, but the touchscreen neither the trackpad work.

I search for someone that try to do the same thing, and I found the user "eyecreate" on reddit that start a development of a build to C720p. His post follow below:.

I decided to bite the bullet and find out what I'd need to do to get Android working on my new C720p chromebook. After a day of compiling, I have something mostly working. Here is a link to an iso of the compiled system.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fMMW8H2fLfU2FWWUtfRnVVTUk/edit?usp=sharing

You can put this on a flash drive and live-cd boot(tested) or install it(have not tested). Below is a guide on how to recreate this from source.

A quick Guide for compiling native Android for your C720p

This android build is based off the Android-x86 code base. Due to stability problems this is based on the jellybean code, but both use the same kernel(3.10) and shouldn't be too difficult to use in future with kitkat. Thanks to many source for the information I used to compile this, but especially motley slate for his patch script.

Working:

·         Touchscreen

·         Touchpad

·         Keyboard

·         Wifi

·         Sound

·         Graphics (webgl works in firefox x86)

·         have not tested others like hdmi or suspend.

Not Working:

·         Touchscreen touch point is off. Still finding where it happens.

1.   Download/setup android-x86 jellybean. (not covered in detail here)

2.   Download link of included files. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fMMW8H2fLfRG5XM3dqcFlkN2M/edit?usp=sharing)

3.   Copy patch.sh to kernel folder and run there.

4.   Copy atmel_mxt_ts.c to kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen

5.   Copy both .idc files to device/generic/x86/idc

6.   Copy android-x86_defconfig to kernel/arch/x86/configs

7.   Copy chromeos_laptop.c to kernel/drivers/platform/x86

8.   Run android compilation process. (not covered in detail here)

Installation Procedure I used (requires chrubuntu/grub2):

1.   Install android using installer to a flash drive(internal not tested). You must already have it in ext3 and be empty. Do not install grub when asked.

2.   install tool like grub customizer to ubuntu or edit files by hand.

3.   add a menu entry to grub like below.

insmod part_msdos

insmod ext2

set root='(hd1,msdos1)'

search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 830c9697-9878-4708-863f-8f03b0058c83

linux /android-2014-02-21/kernel root=UUID=830c9697-9878-4708-863f-8f03b0058c83 SRC=/android-2014-02-21 DATA=

initrd /android-2014-02-21/initrd.img

4.   Change all instance of UUID number to the one related to your android partition. Also may need to change android-2014-02-21 to whatever the folder on installed medium says.

5.   Save entry and reboot. Boot from ssd grub2 and select new entry.

EDIT:I updated the included files zip to have the same audio patch I added for chrubuntu.

EDIT2: Here's a 4.4 iso. It has most of the same problems since I haven't figured them out yet. Hope it's still useful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fMMW8H2fLfWkF3Y1RqbzZuSTg/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT3: Added section about how I got 4.4 installed on a flash drive.

The build still have some issues, like I couldn't have the touch work, but the trackpad is fine. As you can see at the post "eyecreate" is not developing the build anymore, because of time.

I dont have the knowledge to continue his work. So if somebody could help, it would be very nice.

Thanks.