Latest Nvidia GPU support?

Zi Jian Loon

Jun 28, 2021, 11:06:22 PM6/28/21
to Android-x86
Hi, I am trying to install Android x86 64-bit V9.0-r2-K49 on a laptop with RTX GPU. However, whenever I tries to install into my hard drive (partition), it will get stuck in an empty black screen and did not do anything after that.

The installation was successful when I installed it on a laptop running GTX 1060. Could this be hardware compatibility issue? I wanted to run this OS on a higher spec laptop.

I have also tried to search for a hardware compatibility list but there seems to be none.

Thanks

Prajna Sariputra

Jun 29, 2021, 12:54:35 AM6/29/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried the standard/k419 version? It should have a better chance with newer hardware given that it's a newer kernel. Also, given that you mention laptops there's a good chance that they have switchable graphics/Optimus, and if that's the case Android-x86 will just use the integrated graphics.

Furthermore, even if Optimus isn't present NVIDIA graphics on Linux practically requires the official proprietary drivers for it to be any good, and those drivers don't support Android-x86 (and no one other than NVIDIA can do anything about it since it's proprietary), so I'd say don't hold out hope for that coming anytime soon if ever.

владимир зайцев

Jul 4, 2021, 11:42:56 PM7/4/21
to Android-x86
Why I can use hardware acceleration with gtx 1060? I see someone can but not me. So why? Can anyone help me?

вторник, 29 июня 2021 г. в 10:54:35 UTC+6, put...@gmail.com:

Prajna Sariputra

Jul 5, 2021, 12:05:40 AM7/5/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Android-x86 does have the open-source nouveau driver for NVIDIA GPUs
(community developed based on reverse engineering), however with newer GPUs
(from GTX 9xx desktop and GTX 965M+ mobile) the GPU will be stuck at its
lowest power state and clockspeeds, so it will likely perform at about the
level of integrated graphics, if not worse. Also given the lack of support
from NVIDIA officially there may be a chance of it not working right even if the
hardware should be supported in theory.

For Android-x86 specifically that only applies if the display is directly
connected to the NVIDIA GPU, which is often not the case in laptops, where the
display is actually connected to the integrated Intel/AMD integrated graphics,
and the NVIDIA GPU needs to go through the integrated graphics to display
anything. In those cases Android-x86 will only use the integrated graphics,
and for Intel ones at least that should work fine. Or, if said laptop happens
to have a switch in the firmware to disable the integrated graphics completely
then Android-x86 will attempt to use the NVIDIA GPU, but again caveats apply
as on desktops.

In short, it's just a matter of luck really, you can thank NVIDIA for that.

владимир зайцев

Jul 5, 2021, 1:15:54 AM7/5/21
to Android-x86
My computer has only nvidia GPU (no GPU on MB, no video outputs on MB and no GPU in CPU) and monitors are of course plugged right in video card (gtx 1060). I dont care to much about performance. I need this for testing purposes only. But for some reason android just freezes completely when I try to run some kind of graphical stuff on my PC (while hardware acceleration is activated). It works perfect on my laptop with integrated GPU but not all the bugs can be catched on this platform. I'm trying to test my things on as much platforms as it possible.
So Have you any idea why is it freezes? Or maybe I can provide some any usefull logs? just tell me.

понедельник, 5 июля 2021 г. в 10:05:40 UTC+6, put...@gmail.com:

Fabio de Oliveira Alves

Aug 4, 2021, 2:44:12 PM8/4/21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
For old or new PC it's good to install some kind of Linux, my PC is a 10 year old desktop and I always installed Ubuntu. As Ubuntu stopped supporting it I installed other versions of Ubuntu, Ubuntu mate or Lubuntu as these software preserve the machine and don't let the machine fail. But I've already installed Android x86 9 r2 on the hard drive a few times until I figured out how to install Android x86 9 r2 on a pen drive and so I can test it until the software is ready because it's still under development and as my monitor is 32 inches an old analog led tv monitor that gets internet via cable YouTube still doesn't work in full screen I use the app Web video receiver to mirror videos from all sites and this app has a zoom that fills the screen almost completely and I paid 15 reais for the Premium function and I'm also testing some apps  some opened as Google's Alexa assistant and others opened but closed as Kodi and Kindle didn't even open beyond the homepage. But it's excellent software and if you know how to partition hd or recording it on a pendrive is excellent.