Android x86 onVirtualBox

Bastien Chanot

Apr 21, 2020, 8:14:05 AM4/21/20
to Android-x86
Hi everyone,
Hope you're good during this difficult period !

I'm looking to use Android x86 on virtualbox and i would like to use 3d acceleration.

I correctly built Vbox tools with Android, I have all modules, and i can correctly load it to the kernel.

But when im using vboxvideo instead of uvesa, the virtual machine reboot in loop, even if the module has been correctly loaded.

I followed the android programming book section of android on virtualbox and compiling / installing tools on android. If we read this book, it seems to be possible to have the module works.
Im booting with vboxvideo by editing the file bootable/newinstaller/initrd/scripts/0-auto-detect

if [ -n "$VBOX_VIDEO_DRIVER" ]; then
        modprobe ttm
        modprobe drm_kms_helper
        modprobe vboxvideo
fi

It is loading correcly the module at boot when i see logs or try to add it handly in debug mode

We can see vboxguest loaded, vboxvideo too, and check the fb set. And then when i boot it rebooting the VM.

If it is, do you know what i am missing ?

I readed a lot of topics saying it was not possible to have Vbox tools in android x86, so if we really can't, do you know a way to have an accelerated 3d VM on a free licensed virtualisation software.

Thanks for your helps.

I wish you the best !

Regards, Bastien

Michael Goffioul

Apr 21, 2020, 8:21:28 AM4/21/20
to Android-x86
I'm using QEMU with virgl, which gives decent performances (on Intel CPU + AMD GPU). This is the command-line I'm using (for 32-bits android-x86):

qemu-system-i386 \
    -enable-kvm -m 1024 -smp 2 -cpu host \
    -soundhw es1370 \
    -device virtio-mouse-pci \
    -device virtio-keyboard-pci \
    -serial mon:stdio \
    -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::5555-:5555 \
    -device virtio-vga,virgl=on -display gtk,gl=on,zoom-to-fit=off \
    -cdrom /path/to/android-x86-iso

Michael.

Bastien Chanot

Apr 21, 2020, 8:24:39 AM4/21/20
to Android-x86
Thanks for your answer !

I also use it on Linux, but i'm looking for a windows way to have a android x86 3d accelerated.

I tried to build Qemu with virglrenderer on windows, but lot of problems with opengl and virgl. If you know a method to have qemu 3d accelerated on winodows, i take it !

Bastien.

Michael Goffioul

Apr 21, 2020, 8:27:56 AM4/21/20
to Android-x86
Ah, no sorry. I don't use windows for anything development-related.

fguy

Apr 21, 2020, 1:04:05 PM4/21/20
to Android-x86
I tested the work of android 11 in the emulator from android sdk for windows 10. It has tools to accelerate 3D graphics using your 3D accelerator. Also in the image of android 11 for SDK, translation of the arm 32 and 64 bit code is included - this allows you to run almost any modern application. Only a modern computer is needed, as well as manually enclosing a version with PlayMarket for full work.

Bastien Chanot

Apr 22, 2020, 7:55:25 AM4/22/20
to Android-x86
Hi guy !
Thanks for your reply !

I know that android sdk works fine on windows, but it is too big and its works only with specifics android, an i would like to use android x86 and in a less customized emulator (without all this GUI stuff).
But the principal things is to dont have the AVD but only image disks.

fguy

Apr 22, 2020, 9:07:33 AM4/22/20
to Android-x86
The emulator in android sdk is qemu with additions from google and intel. AVD is a graphical shell for configuring virtual machines. From the point of view of saving disk space, it is optimal when creating several configurations for one version of the android - a single "system" image will be used in all configurations without creating individual copies. And the images of the "data" section will be different in each configuration. If you figure it out, it is quite possible to choose the minimum set of components from the Android SDK for the emulator to work.