Camera on android-86

Sam

Nov 9, 2014, 9:50:15 AM11/9/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am trying to enable USB Camera solution on an android-x86 platform (Kitkat 4.4.4).

I have taken the reference camera HAL code from here (Thanks to the people who have contributed to it :) )

Please note that I am using the default camera application, and have enabled the default UVC driver.

Now, as I understand, this code is supposed to work as is, without any modifications. However, my experience has been different:

1. Still Preview: I had to make few small fixes related to camera parameters to enable camera preview.
2. Still Picture: Camera HAL code returns jpeg format buffer, while the application expects exif metadata as well, resulting in java exception
3. Video Preview: TBD
4. Video Record: TBD

Now I am thinking that may be I am doing something wrong, as I am running into these issues. Another possibility is, that camera usecases have not been verified with newer versions of android (application/framework).

If someone could share their experiences with this camera HAL code, I would be really grateful.
Also, are all the three primary usecases (Preview, Still Capture, Video Record) functional with this code on Android Kitkat?

PS: I would be more than happy to share my fixes, if they are any useful.

Chih-Wei Huang

Nov 10, 2014, 9:52:04 PM11/10/14
to Android-x86
The libcamera is not well-maintained or tested.
It works for some cameras.
For example, the front/back cameras work
(all 3 functions) on my Asus T300LA.
But I believe some may not work
because the specs vary greatly.

Welcome to share the fixes.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Sam

Nov 11, 2014, 12:29:13 AM11/11/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chih,

Thanks for the clarification.
My guess is that your Asus T300LA runs a camera application that is provided by the vendor.
If you get time, please try out the default camera application (which comes with AOSP) on your ASUS device. I doubt that it will work.

Regards,
Sam

Chih-Wei Huang

Nov 12, 2014, 1:33:22 AM11/12/14
to Android-x86
> Hi Chih,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
> My guess is that your Asus T300LA runs a camera application that is provided
> by the vendor.
> If you get time, please try out the default camera application (which comes
> with AOSP) on your ASUS device. I doubt that it will work.

I use the default Camera app, of course.