Stuck at: Detecting Android x86... Found at /dev/sda8

Franco Palombo

Jun 19, 2020, 10:02:32 AM6/19/20
to Android-x86
Hi, I recently got android x86 detect my HDD, using the android x86 source to include specific kernel modules for my SATA controller and building a custom kernel. Now I'm facing this issue: Android wont continue to boot after "Detecting Android x86... Found at /dev/sda8" message is displayed. I've never been able to boot android, so I don't know how this can be related to different parts of the system, affecting the boot process. One thing that confuses me, is that this happens on both, live CD, and local installation, so, I don't have any clues in what could be the problem. I tried using the "nomodeset" kernel parameter (because I have an AMDGPU), but, still, android wont boot. I've noticed, that passed the "Found at /dev/sda8" message, in both instances (live and local installation), the hdd/usb stick, stops from being used. I mean, that the "status LED" stops blinking. I don't know what could it be, but I leave my system specifications, so if there is any hardware issue related to my system components, you can tell me.

Motherboard: ASRock N68S-UCC
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 (1GB VRAM)
CPU: AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz (OC to 3.3GHz and unlocked extra core, now detected as an AMD Athlon II x2 4400e)

Thanks for helping me

Regards

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 21, 2020, 10:44:27 PM6/21/20
to Android-x86
Franco Palombo <ffpp...@hotmail.com> 於 2020年6月19日 週五 下午10:02寫道:
The most possible reason is the CPU doesn't meet Android ABI requirement.
Are you using 64-bit version? Check Android x86_64 ABI requirement:

https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/abis#86-64

You may also try the 32-bit version.

Franco Palombo

Jun 21, 2020, 11:28:02 PM6/21/20
to Android-x86
Well, I didn't understand anything that says in that link that you sent me. Some people said to me to try with a lower Android version (something like 7.1) or use the 32bit variant. Because of my anxiety, I've already deleted the whole Android x86 Pie clone, and started to clone cm14.1. so, we probably won't know until I decide to use the 32bit version of Android x86. Btw, I was using the 64bit variant. So, probably is that my CPU doesn't meet the minimum ABI requirement...?

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 21, 2020, 11:34:54 PM6/21/20
to Android-x86
Franco Palombo <ffpp...@hotmail.com> 於 2020年6月22日 週一 上午11:28寫道:
> Well, I didn't understand anything that says in that link that you sent me. Some people said to me to try with a lower Android version (something like 7.1) or use the 32bit variant. Because of my anxiety, I've already deleted the whole Android x86 Pie clone, and started to clone cm14.1. so, we probably won't know until I decide to use the 32bit version of Android x86. Btw, I was using the 64bit variant. So, probably is that my CPU doesn't meet the minimum ABI requirement...?

You can check the flags in 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'.

If it doesn't meet x86_64 requirement, using cm won't change anything.
Using 32-bit may be the only solution:

https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/abis#x86

Franco Palombo

Jun 21, 2020, 11:39:31 PM6/21/20
to Android-x86
Ok, I'll try that. Where do I execute that command? In any Linux distro? And sorry, but what flags do I have to look for? I don't understand that link that you sent to me

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 22, 2020, 12:15:37 AM6/22/20
to Android-x86
Franco Palombo <ffpp...@hotmail.com> 於 2020年6月22日 週一 上午11:39寫道:

> Ok, I'll try that. Where do I execute that command? In any Linux distro? And sorry, but what flags do I have to look for? I don't understand that link that you sent to me

Yes, the flags list the instructions supported by your CPU.
You can compare it with the ABI requirements in the link.
Usually ssse3 or sse4.x is missed.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Franco Palombo

Jun 22, 2020, 7:49:14 PM6/22/20
to Android-x86
Ummmm, I don't know what to do. Checking on the supported instructions on my cpu, with the command that you gave me, i can see that there are some instructions missing, but in both X86 and X86_64 requirements.

The instructions that my cpu supports are bolded:
MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, POPCNT

Now, just in case, I'll write down all the CPU flags:
fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt hw_pstate vmmcall npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save

Now, for what do I compile? x86 or x86_64? In both I have missing instructions.

Prajna Sariputra

Jun 22, 2020, 8:57:13 PM6/22/20
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Given that even the x86 ABI requires SSSE3 (note that SSE3 is called pni for some reason in cpuinfo) it seems that your CPU is simply not supported by Android. Checking online for your CPU details also confirms the lack of SSSE3 support.

Franco Palombo

Jun 22, 2020, 9:20:45 PM6/22/20
to Android-x86
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. All that time wasted for nothing... Well, my idea was to use this old pc as a "Media Center". I opted for android because, the well known Libreelec or OpenElec, was giving me problems with my wifi card. Do you guys know of another media center OS? Something that has netflix on it, and maybe google chrome, and in the best scenario, Screen Mirroing.

Huge thanks to all you that helped me

Regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to andro...@googlegroups.com.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 22, 2020, 9:40:40 PM6/22/20
to Android-x86
Franco Palombo <ffpp...@hotmail.com> 於 2020年6月23日 週二 上午9:20寫道:

> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. All that time wasted for nothing... Well, my idea was to use this old pc as a "Media Center". I opted for android because, the well known Libreelec or OpenElec, was giving me problems with my wifi card. Do you guys know of another media center OS? Something that has netflix on it, and maybe google chrome, and in the best scenario, Screen Mirroing.

Basically speaking, you need a "modern" CPU to run modern Android versions.

You may try the ancient 4.0 (ics-x86) version. It may work.
Or you can try the non-sse3 porting of android-x86 4.4:

https://sites.google.com/site/twisteroidambassador/android-x86/kitkat-non-sse3-build

However, even you can boot Android successfully,
the apps you want to use may not work since they
may still use the sse3/sse4 instructions.