worried about adbd listening on all interfaces

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 13, 2017, 9:44:22 PM12/13/17
to Android-x86
I am using Android-x86 6.0-r3

adbd is listening on all interfaces, and there seems to be no way to restrict it

this would seem to be very insecure, because anybody from the Internet can do almost whatever they want on my device...

Is there any way to disable adbd, or maybe put some constraints on where it can listen?

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 14, 2017, 4:43:18 PM12/14/17
to Android-x86
That could be turned off by setting `service.adb.tcp.port` to `-1`.
Problem solved.
Sorry for bothering.

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 14, 2017, 7:29:07 PM12/14/17
to Android-x86
No, this does not work. Setting `service.adb.tcp.port` to `-1` just makes it listening on 0.0.0.0:5555

Looks like a backdoor

If adbd cannot be disabled, then this is a grave issue, making the system only useful as a toy

DDS Central

Dec 14, 2017, 7:57:01 PM12/14/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Unless you're connected directly to the internet (not through a router/NAT device), adbd will not be accessible outside your LAN. Still insecure though.
If you don't need debugging, you can always disable adbd from init or just delete/rename adbd binary.

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 14, 2017, 8:03:38 PM12/14/17
to Android-x86
I was unable to delete `/sbin/adbd`. Even as root, getting `read-only file system` error.
How to disable `adbd` from init ? So far I have not been able to figure out.
You are right about NAT, but what happens if I am connected over 3G/4G/LTE ? I have no idea, most likely provider-dependent.

Em quinta-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2017 00:44:22 UTC-2, Andrei Mikhailov escreveu:
I am using Android-x86 6.0-r3

adbd is listening on all interfaces, and there seems to be no way to restrict it

this would seem to be very insecure, because anybody from the Internet can do almost whatever they want on my device...

Is there any way to disable adbd, or maybe put some constraints on where it can listen?

DDS Central

Dec 14, 2017, 8:06:20 PM12/14/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
/system is mounted as read-only by default.
Did you try: mount -o,remount,rw /system ?

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 14, 2017, 8:21:21 PM12/14/17
to Android-x86
Same error. Also, it seems that `sbin/` is not in `/system/` . I am not very familiar with Android. Could it be a SquashFS of some sort, essentially read-only? Without overlay?

Chih-Wei Huang

Dec 14, 2017, 10:56:30 PM12/14/17
to Android-x86
Just do:

stop adbd

You can also disable it in Developer section of Settings.

Adbd is only enabled in userdebug/eng build by default. Indeed if you really worry about it, you should make the user build which won't enable adbd automatically.

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 14, 2017, 11:16:35 PM12/14/17
to Android-x86
Yes, thank you, `stop adbd` works for me !
However, I could not locate such an option in the Developer section of Settings...
What would be the closest  Android analogue of  `systemctl disable adbd` ?

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 15, 2017, 2:12:20 PM12/15/17
to Android-x86
I am using the android-x86_64-6.0-r3.iso  downloaded by clicking the link on the Android-x86 website:

Andrei Mikhailov

Dec 15, 2017, 9:30:15 PM12/15/17
to Android-x86
Putting `stop adbd` in `/etc/init.sh` seems to work, but is this reliable? How do I know that `adbd` starts before `init.sh`?
Naively it would be the other way around...