VolksPC (combined Debian Linux and Android distro)

Ravi

Jul 21, 2014, 11:26:45 AM7/21/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This seems like a really good step in the right direction.  I hope that they can get the OS running on the x86 architecture, as it's currently ARM only.

Another minor drawback however, is that it uses a non-FOSS X server, so isn't fully open source.

I do hope we can get this kind of capability baked into Android-x86 some day however.  I once successfully booted into LXDE Linux Mint through a chroot from Android-x86, but no input devices were available for usage in LXDE, so it was (kind of) useless.

The company behind MicroXwin, a kernel-based X Windows implementation that claims to be the smallest and fastest X implementation, has come up with a unified Linux distribution that runs Android and Debian/Ubuntu applications simultaneously.
Vasant Kanchan of the VolksPC, the company behind MicroXwin and this new project, wrote into Phoronix on Friday telling us about this dual Ubuntu/Debian + Android PC. Vasant explained:
This demo is running on a RK3066 dual core set top box. Some features of this implementation that your readers may be interested in knowing:

1. Both Android and Debian apps run at native speeds. Debian apps don't depend on Android unlike other implementation of Debian on Android which are based on VNC running on Android.
2. We did not change Android to implement this (other than start-up scripts). This means we have full compatibility with all Android applications.
3. MicroXwin provides the X-Wndows framework and it is much faster as seen running on ARM based Raspberry Pi

It's an interesting demo and VolksPC has put out a demo with Android "Jelly Bean" and Debian LXDE running hand-in-hand via the video below.