Any way to shut off the automatic pen calibrartion in 4.4?

Greg McGee

Dec 14, 2014, 7:37:53 PM12/14/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
The Linux kernel Wacom driver gets the screen cal perfect by itself, worked perfectly in 4.2/4.3
4.4x with the "improved" calibration gets it wrong and the pen is essentially unusable, misses the last inch of the screen on R side and half inch on bottom.
Any easy way to disable the "improvements?

Lenovo X200T (convertible tablet) with Wacom pen (serial)

MikeR

Dec 15, 2014, 11:10:09 AM12/15/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com

"

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Greg McGee

Jan 5, 2015, 1:09:30 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Figured it out, although the method was probably more brutal than absolutely required.

I first renamed 4.4-R1s init.sh with 4.3-test version (7/24/2014 IIRC, plus the inputattach binary added to /xbin, and added line in init.sh in the patch)

This did not work: The pointercal generated by the  setup in 4.4-r1 was still valid, had to hunt it down is /system/ts (or something in that area) and delete the setup generated pointercal file.

Now it works flawlessly, the w8001 kernel module needs no help.

Now that the pointercal is erased, i'll try restoring the 4.4R1 init.sh with the touchscreen section simply commented out. (and the inputattach --daemon -w8001 /dev/ttyS0 line added)

Posted from an X200T running Android-x86 4.4-R1
(R2 randomly locks up my X300, have not tried yet on X200T)

Greg McGee

Jan 5, 2015, 1:15:15 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

the offending pointercal file to delete is in /data/misc/tscal/pointercal

Greg McGee

Jan 5, 2015, 1:16:54 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

You also have to comment out references to tscal and wacom-input in the init further down.

Greg McGee

Jan 5, 2015, 1:27:15 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

Also, if using wacom-input the pen is not recognized by any pen/pressure-aware apps, they work fine with inputattach. (Markers, papyrus, art-flow, infinite painter tested)

This is a fatal bug with wacom-input IMHO, no pressure data defeats the purpose of having a pen.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 5, 2015, 2:11:40 AM1/5/15
to Android-x86
Please provide a patch for it.
> "Android-x86" group.
> email to android-x86...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/android-x86.

Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project
http://www.android-x86.org

Greg McGee

Jan 6, 2015, 10:32:35 PM1/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

attached, compiled for 4.2 (same one previously submitted)
Could probably be worked into the device logic set up in the ini for the X200T
The pen-only units require the 19200 baud, the later TS+pen units will work with 19200

inputattach-android-x86.tar.bz2

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 6, 2015, 10:45:54 PM1/6/15
to Android-x86
> attached, compiled for 4.2 (same one previously submitted)
> Could probably be worked into the device logic set up in the ini for the
> X200T
> The pen-only units require the 19200 baud, the later TS+pen units will work
> with 19200

Please provide a *patch* based on the latest codebase
(kitkat-x86 or lollipop-x86)
The 4.2 branch is not maintained now.

Do not give a whole tarball and ask us to replace by it.
That's totally unacceptable.
Only patches are acceptable.
If you still don't know how to create a patch,
learn it. I've mentioned that millions times in the list.

Please learn how developers work so you can
co-work with them.
If you don't learn how to do that,
the change you needed will never be accepted
in the mainstream codebase. Sorry!

Greg McGee

Jan 7, 2015, 4:29:42 AM1/7/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I supplied what I had available, from work, since you asked.

Given it's a stand alone program in /external I figured the tarball would do.

I'll spend a few days re-syncing, then modify the build file and test it, then I'll spend some quality time trying to figure out git again, then run a test build and see if it works.

Might have it in a few weeks given my free time.

Greg McGee

Jan 11, 2015, 1:19:23 AM1/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, January 6, 2015 at 9:45:54 PM UTC-6, Chih-Wei Huang wrote:
> attached, compiled for 4.2 (same one previously submitted)
> Could probably be worked into the device logic set up in the ini for the
> X200T
> The pen-only units require the 19200 baud, the later TS+pen units will work
> with 19200

Please provide a *patch* based on the latest codebase
(kitkat-x86 or lollipop-x86)
The 4.2 branch is not maintained now.

context diff patch based on a repo sync 2 hours ago attached.

Ts works properly on X200T with 32 or 64 bit kernel with inputattach.
folks with later model units and other serial touchscreens (and other devices like game controllers) may want to have a look at it, as many devices are supported.
wifi and BT seem to have bitten it over the last few days on 4.4.4, but that's the way it goes.
android-x86-4.4.4-inputattach.patch

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 12, 2015, 11:31:55 AM1/12/15
to Android-x86
Thank you for the patch.
I tweaked it a little:
* add inputattach as a service (in init.x86.rc)
* add inputattach code to device/generic/x86 directly
(lazy to add another git repository...)

It's pushed to the server. Please sync and test it.

Since your patch is generated by diff command manually,
it's not so easy to apply.
Next time please use git to generate the patch directly:

git add (files_you_modified_or_added)
git commit (write message to describe the patch)
git format-patch -1

Then send me the generated 0001-* file.

Greg McGee

Jan 13, 2015, 6:26:30 AM1/13/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Works great built on clean tree after repo sync.
Even the BT works today.(after doing the force stop, seems to cure the issue even through reboots?)