ublox serial GPS in AOSP oreo 8.1

suhas m

Apr 24, 2020, 3:39:57 AM4/24/20
to Android-x86
Want to integrate the ublox serial GPS into my AOSP oreo 8.1 Source for our Intel X86 based Tablet. As per the hardware/gps/Read.md file , i followed as per below integration.

1. added below to init.sh

function init_hal_gps()
{
    # TODO
    set_property ro.kernel.android.gps ttyS0
    set_property ro.kernel.android.gpsttybaud 9600
    return
}

2. added below to system/core/rootdir/ueventd.rc

/dev/ttyS0 0660 system radio

3. Added below line in hardware/gps/gps.c to see debug logs in logcat after booting.

#define     GPS_DEBUG 1

4. Rebuilt the ISO and installed on target, now im able to see the NMEA messages when i do cat  /dev/ttyS0 , infact the GPS receiver gets 3D fix.. i'm able to see correct lat/lon and 8 satellites in view through NMEA messages.

5. Enabled location service in settings, and when i install GPS test app : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en_IN , the app say no hardware gps receiver found and i dont see any lat /lon / satellite information in the app.

6. The logcat is also not throwing not even one debug message from gps.c file... wen i do : logcat | grep gps_serial , how do i enable prints??

What am i missing, why is my location service not working???????

Jose Luis s

Apr 24, 2020, 7:39:48 AM4/24/20
to Android-x86
Are you using a USBSerial Ublox GPS?

 in this case, I've been in your trip months ago..... no good results.

Finally I decided to use some GPS helper app. In my case the best results I found with USBGPS4Droid. v2.2.

suhas m

Apr 24, 2020, 11:06:14 PM4/24/20
to Android-x86
My Gps receiver is not USB based.. it's raw serial port with TXd and RXd signals. Not USB based... Hence I can see nmea data on ttyS0 (not ttyUSB port) . So it seems the app u told won't help me either...

I'm desparete for the solution frm the community and develpers here

suhas m

Apr 24, 2020, 11:16:29 PM4/24/20
to Android-x86
Why still no gps debug messages in my logcat? Is the gps.default.so really getting invoked by the OS?? How do I check this..