Grub won't boot kernel

Cooper Max

Aug 2, 2022, 7:26:11 AM8/2/22
to Android-x86
I have a Dell computer, which specifications is like this:

CPU: i5-11400
RAM: DDR4
DISK: Hynix NVME

For some reasons, neither the kernel and nor the manual install thing can boot. I entered boot command manually in GRUB command line to see what was wrong.

For example, I wish to run a manual install. I entered every command I see in the command editor, and every thing went fine until I entered boot. The computer just literally rebooted. I suspected if it was my UEFI settings' fault, so I turned to try a ubuntu - and it was fine.

Internet search suggested that adding 'acpi=off' might help. It did help on reboot issue but didn't make it work, it would stuck at a black screen then.

Please let me know if you have any idea, thanks!

Alex Leo

Aug 5, 2022, 11:34:03 PM8/5/22
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Does Android x86 even support UEFI fully?
You might have luck if you set CSM on in your BIOS, as long as it supports it. Some BIOSes are UEFI class 3 and removed all legacy stuff (Thank Intel)
Another thing is your device might be too new and Android x86 is always behind on Linux kernel drivers.
You can try the default "nomodeset
noacpi acpi=off" to see if it works.