NVMe Not working on Ryzen(with VEGA APU) system.

YoungJoon Lee

Feb 18, 2018, 8:37:32 PM2/18/18
to Android-x86
Hello. I build android for my coffee lake system and it works well on my system.

1. Base Branch : 7.1-rc2
2. Kernel : 4.15rc8 on maurossi's github with defconfig.
3. libdrm and mesa : Mauro Rossi teaching me how to use newer versions of these components.

With these combination, My system works very well.(Also NVMe installation)

Next, I try this image directly on my new Ryzen system.()
1. In live USB boot mode, Mesa and libdrm looks like working. I also can play 3D games.
2. Next, I am trying to boot from NVMe SSD which is used on Coffee Lake system. But I cannot boot. GRUB-efi is working but kernel cannot detect root partition. And ACPI error is displayed. ACPI error is not important on this thread.(I will talk details next.)
3. I doubt ACPI error and NVMe problem is occur by misconfigured defconfig. So, I open menuconfig and check difference to next page.
4. Add some item's on above page can fix ACPI errors(I cannot see this page any more).
5. But I still cannot boot from NVMe SSD.
6. Boot from Android-x86 installer and check system on console.(ctrl+alt+F2) I can found that controller device file(ex : /dev/nvme0) is present but namespace block device(ex : /dev/nvme0n1)  and partitions(ex : /dev/nvme0n1p1) are not found.
Usually, NVMe ssd's device files are like this.
linux-server ~ # ls /dev/nvme0*
/dev/nvme0  /dev/nvme0n1  /dev/nvme0n1p1  /dev/nvme0n1p2  /dev/nvme0n1p3
nvme0 is controoler, nvme0n1 is namespace block device(same as sda) and nvmen1p1 is partition.

How can I fix this problems? uefi-grub is loaded successfully. Actually, it is installed on /dev/nvme0n1p1.(FAT32) So I don't dbout connections or assembly of SSD.

I will text next things.
1. Using newer kernel like 4.16rc1 or above with defconfig+AMD config.
2. Check installer init process.
3. Check losmod and kernel log and device file name with USB Live disk of Linux distribution like Ubuntu.

Please help me. Thank you for reading. Best regards.

YoungJoon Lee

Feb 20, 2018, 11:14:11 AM2/20/18
to Android-x86
Hello. I found that dmesg log shows nvme driver is timeout. I will check kernel configuration. Best regards.

2018년 2월 19일 월요일 오전 10시 37분 32초 UTC+9, YoungJoon Lee 님의 말:

YoungJoon Lee

Feb 20, 2018, 8:39:26 PM2/20/18
to Android-x86
Hello. I share photo's of dmesg. Sorry for picture. I cannot take txt dump because during USB boot, I cannot write files because USB is mounted as RO.

Here is link of all photos but what is important is, 02, 03, 04, 13, 15, 20, 21.

I highlight what important message which is :
(Red square) : Related to NVMe, Negative log
(Yellow square) : Negative but not related to this problem.

There is no NVMe timeout message. It occur randomly. There is only one message related to NVMe on these pictures. I strongly doubt configuration of kernel is missing.

Thank you for reading.

2018년 2월 21일 수요일 오전 1시 14분 11초 UTC+9, YoungJoon Lee 님의 말:

YoungJoon Lee

Feb 21, 2018, 8:57:39 AM2/21/18
to Android-x86
I found my error message is exactly same as next.

I will check kernel mailing list.

2018년 2월 19일 월요일 오전 10시 37분 32초 UTC+9, YoungJoon Lee 님의 말:
Hello. I build android for my coffee lake system and it works well on my system.

YoungJoon Lee

Feb 22, 2018, 8:01:49 PM2/22/18
to Android-x86
Ok, I solve it myself.

I set next on kernel config and NVMe is now working.

CONFIG_SP5100_TCO

I will make pull request for android defconfig file that support Ryzen.

Best regards.

2018년 2월 21일 수요일 오후 10시 57분 39초 UTC+9, YoungJoon Lee 님의 말:

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 25, 2018, 10:17:12 PM2/25/18
to Android-x86
> Ok, I solve it myself.
>
> I set next on kernel config and NVMe is now working.
>
> CONFIG_SP5100_TCO

Thank you. I'll add it.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

YoungJoon Lee

Feb 26, 2018, 2:26:02 AM2/26/18
to Android-x86
Here is my config.
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/wW4DWB6bNfOLFtSaJzew/

Please check diff and you decide which to add. Thank you very much.

2018년 2월 26일 월요일 오후 12시 17분 12초 UTC+9, Chih-Wei Huang 님의 말: