VRAM Leak when performs rotation on QEMU(Virt-GPU)

Eunseok Choi

May 21, 2019, 8:36:39 PM5/21/19
to Android-x86
Hi all,

I will report something strange thing about VRam leakage after rotation when it runs on QEMU with virt-gpu(+ virgl-renderer)

Please watching below video link.

We suspect virt-gpu driver but we don't sure what is problem...

Here are our tested history
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install android-x86 on I7 desktop PCs with intel UHD GPU  - No leak.
Install android-x86 on I7 desktop PCs with NVIDIA GTX GPU series - No leak.
Install android-x86 on guest machine emulated skylake cpu with QEMU(+virt-gpu, virgl-renderer) - Leak
(HOST CPU - I5, INTEL UHD GPU)
Install android-x86 on guest machine emulated skylake cpu with QEMU(+virt-gpu, virgl-renderer) - Leak
(HOST CPU - I7, NVIDIA GTX GPU)

COMMON:
In case of NVIDIA GPU : check vram using nvidia-smi
In case of intel UHD GPU : check shared-vram using free cmd

We checked android-x86 system down when vram is full after performing many rotation

Is it virt-gpu driver's problem?

I will report same thing to virt-gpu driver author..

But I hope someone can help us in this groups...

Thanks in advance!!

Eunseok Choi

May 21, 2019, 8:40:07 PM5/21/19
to Android-x86
Oops!! We also tested it using updated(or latest)-library(mesa, virgl-render) but still have leak!!

2019년 5월 22일 수요일 오전 9시 36분 39초 UTC+9, Eunseok Choi 님의 말:

Eunseok Choi

May 21, 2019, 8:44:21 PM5/21/19
to Android-x86

2019년 5월 22일 수요일 오전 9시 36분 39초 UTC+9, Eunseok Choi 님의 말:
Hi all,

Chih-Wei Huang

May 21, 2019, 10:54:34 PM5/21/19
to Android-x86
Eunseok Choi <rio...@gmail.com> 於 2019年5月22日 週三 上午8:36寫道:

> Hi all,
>
> I will report something strange thing about VRam leakage after rotation when it runs on QEMU with virt-gpu(+ virgl-renderer)
>
> Please watching below video link.
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lkdTx_8yTbSVjKXlnxnnk96fWe-w6Mxb/view?usp=sharing
>
> We suspect virt-gpu driver but we don't sure what is problem...
>
> Here are our tested history
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Install android-x86 on I7 desktop PCs with intel UHD GPU - No leak.
> Install android-x86 on I7 desktop PCs with NVIDIA GTX GPU series - No leak.
> Install android-x86 on guest machine emulated skylake cpu with QEMU(+virt-gpu, virgl-renderer) - Leak
> (HOST CPU - I5, INTEL UHD GPU)
> Install android-x86 on guest machine emulated skylake cpu with QEMU(+virt-gpu, virgl-renderer) - Leak
> (HOST CPU - I7, NVIDIA GTX GPU)
>
> COMMON:
> In case of NVIDIA GPU : check vram using nvidia-smi
> In case of intel UHD GPU : check shared-vram using free cmd
>
> We checked android-x86 system down when vram is full after performing many rotation

Nice report.
Though I have no idea about the leak.

> Is it virt-gpu driver's problem?
>
> I will report same thing to virt-gpu driver author..

Or the QEMU devel group.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

4TechGuns

Jun 18, 2019, 5:07:44 PM6/18/19
to Android-x86
I see two mouse cursors oriented away from each other. That could be caused by the leak.

4TechGuns

Jun 22, 2019, 4:59:16 AM6/22/19
to Android-x86
If you still don't see it, pause at 0:30

Eunseok Choi

Jun 22, 2019, 5:26:43 AM6/22/19
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Nope. It is not relate with any mouse cursor.

We found it wasn't just rotation problem...

The leak happens whenever refesh home apps(any luncher).

Rotation also trigger refreshing a home apps.

Our team found the reason why leaking occurs.

It was memory garbage colecting problem between virtgpu and mesa.

We also report to qemu devel and virtgpu authors.

If we have any progress, will report.

2019년 6월 22일 (토) 오후 5:59, 4TechGuns <masonr...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

4TechGuns

Jun 22, 2019, 9:27:00 AM6/22/19
to Android-x86
Sorry, my bad.

Chih-Wei Huang

Jun 24, 2019, 10:41:00 PM6/24/19
to Android-x86
Eunseok Choi <rio...@gmail.com> 於 2019年6月22日 週六 下午5:26寫道:

> Nope. It is not relate with any mouse cursor.
>
> We found it wasn't just rotation problem...
>
> The leak happens whenever refesh home apps(any luncher).
>
> Rotation also trigger refreshing a home apps.
>
> Our team found the reason why leaking occurs.
>
> It was memory garbage colecting problem between virtgpu and mesa.
>
> We also report to qemu devel and virtgpu authors.
>
> If we have any progress, will report.

Great! Do you have patches to fix it?

Bastien Chanot

Sep 12, 2019, 6:39:22 AM9/12/19
to Android-x86
Hello all !
I would like to know how to make rotation on Android x86 on Qemu. Your commands don't work on mine. I think you have a patch to perform this. If i can know how to !

Thanks for all. I wish you the best and i hope your leaks has been found and corrected.

Best regards, Bastien

Bastien Chanot

Sep 23, 2019, 9:04:39 AM9/23/19
to Android-x86
Okey, for poeple who should ask the same question, i just missed a command (in my case, dont work without this command..)
So the complete commands to rotate my screen is :
setprop config.override_forced_orient true
wm size WIDTHxHEIGHT
settings put system user_rotation 0
or
settings put system user_rotation 0/1/2/3 (deppending of what side rotate you prefere / want)

So i just had to specify the size (with wm size ) after setting the forced orient.
That all.

Thanks for all guys
Regards, Bastien.