Android-x86 only activates one of two LAN-Ports of a device

Lukas N

Feb 12, 2018, 2:16:52 AM2/12/18
to Android-x86
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get Android-x86 to work on a Device that has two LAN-Ports. When I boot the device with a cable inserted into one of the LAN-Ports the other one is getting activated. For example if I connect a LAN cable to port 1, boot the device and check the ifconfig the interface for LAN-Port 2 is activated and the interface for LAN-Port 1 is set to "down".
Does anyone know a probable cause for this issue or maybe a fix that i can perform on the android terminal?

Lukas N

Feb 12, 2018, 2:22:00 AM2/12/18
to Android-x86
I forgot to add that I tried activating the interface for the deactivated LAN-Port via the ifconfig command on the android terminal with no luck at all. I can set it's state to "up" but it will never receive an IP-Address

David G

Feb 16, 2018, 4:32:56 PM2/16/18
to Android-x86
I suspect DHCP is not activated on the second port for some reason.  I tried to set a static IP on my single LAN port box with:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

but it had the original IP address when it came back up. I also haven't found a GUI to setup a static IP address or enable/disable DHCP.

It appears that /etc/init/netd.rc has something to do with this.  Might read up on

https://github.com/networkosnet/netd

Just guessing though.

j.nis...@nifdex.com

Feb 19, 2018, 9:17:57 AM2/19/18
to Android-x86

Hey,

David G is right, dhcp is disabled.

We are facing a similar issue.

Android only activates eth0, our device has eth0 and eth1.

Sometimes event eth0 and eth1 swap their names.

We enabled the second ethernet port using:

ip link set eth1 up

to obtain an ip using dhcp we use:

dhcptool eth1

We need to fix:

  • -          Android should enable all interfaces
  • -          Android should persist interface names permanently
  • -          Allow configuration of interfaces using Settings or File
    • DHCP / Statis

Android also tries to tear down all not needed connections, so if you connect ethernet it will try to disable wifi or cellular.

For an x86 usage I would recommend disabling this feature, as sometimes you would like to have multiple connections.

Thanks

Julian

Rob Cosentino

Feb 19, 2018, 11:20:29 AM2/19/18
to Android-x86
I'm having a problem where if I don't have a second LAN card in, I can't connect to the internet. I have to switch between which one is working after boot. If I just have 1 and it doesn't initialize, then I can't get on at all, even if I reboot or plugged the LAN cable in before or after boot. So my only fix was to put in a PCI LAN card that I had lying around in addition to the on-board LAN and 1 of the 2 will work.
I'm also having a different problem where my system reboots itself during some games/apps not all. Angry Birds 2 will often reboot the system when it goes to a commercial. I don't have developer options on or am I overclocking the system. :(

Rob Cosentino

Feb 20, 2018, 9:01:09 AM2/20/18
to Android-x86
OK, fixed my rebooting problem. It was the CPU cooler. It's an E8400 and has those crappy plastic push in pegs that break easily. One leg came up and the heat sink was off the CPU just enough to reek havoc. Sorry this has nothing to do the the LAN problem. I guess it'll be good for people who read this that if they have sporadic reboots, check to see if the CPU cooler is secure.
Still swapping the LAN cable almost every boot tho. I don't get why it can't boot the one that's plugged in every time.