[Android x86 NOOB] Do certain Android apps need Vulkan support? My GPU doesn't support Vulkan drivers. Is there a way to have Android x86 use OpenGL drivers instead?

clocomo...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2022, 11:24:51 AM10/29/22
to Android-x86

I'm thinking about installing Android x86 on my old laptop, but I'm concerned about my GPU not being good enough to run some of my favorite Android games and apps.

I was testing out some games on my laptop, and I discovered that my GPU didn't have Vulkan support, which was needed for some games.

Do Android apps ever need Vulkan support? If so, is there a way to switch them out with OpenGL or something else?

My PC is a Toshiba Satellite C55-A5172. Link to specs here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9si7pouvnrew7h/Toshiba%20Satellite%20C55-A5172.txt?dl=0

It's GPU is an "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)."

Huy Minh Bùi (HMTheBoy154)

Oct 29, 2022, 12:38:09 PM10/29/22
to Android-x86
you know that there used to be devices that doesn't support Vulkan and yet can still be able to use latest Android version through Custom ROMs............
And it depends on the app to provide Vulkan-only support, but I don't see a lot of them yet, just a few games

Vào lúc 22:24:51 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Bảy, 29 tháng 10, 2022, clocomo...@gmail.com đã viết:

Huy Minh Bùi (HMTheBoy154)

Oct 29, 2022, 12:41:29 PM10/29/22
to Android-x86
but if you want to use Vulkan, there might be a little hope in the future
Vào lúc 22:24:51 UTC+7 ngày Thứ Bảy, 29 tháng 10, 2022, clocomo...@gmail.com đã viết:

I'm thinking about installing Android x86 on my old laptop, but I'm concerned about my GPU not being good enough to run some of my favorite Android games and apps.

Quack Doc

Oct 29, 2022, 5:09:44 PM10/29/22
to Android-x86
that gpu has support for vulkan 1.3
https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/displayreport.php?id=15925

Mauro Rossi

Oct 30, 2022, 5:14:37 PM10/30/22
to Android-x86
Hi, the quicker test is to boot pie-x86 in Live Cd debug mode with gralloc.gbm

Sign-In

Install 3DMARK benchmark, download "Slingshot Extreeme" benchmark and launch the Vulkan API version

Good  luck and please let us know to the outcome

PS: In any case the Android Apps really requiring Vulkan are the Vulkan Benchmarks, in general the apps will work fine with OpenGLES