Hardware acceleration on Marshmallow?

Dmitry Karikh

Nov 8, 2017, 4:26:20 PM11/8/17
to Android-x86
I am still trying to build Android-x86 for Asus T100TAM. This time I built Marshmallow with some patches and it works very good: suspend, sound, brightness, bluetooth, wi-fi, accelerometer and opengapps are working mostly out of the box or with some Tasker scripts.

But it looks like marshmallow still doesn't support hardware acceleration on baytrail GPUs. I know it was fixed in 7.1-rc1, but I can't use Nougat on my tablet yet.

I tried to override hardware/intel/common/libva and hardware/intel/common/vaapi with nougat-x86 branch but it didn't affect the performance. I encounter frame loss on 720p60 quality, but was able to play 1080p60 on Nougat.

Is it possible to port hardware acceleration from Nougat to Marshmallow without massive changes in the whole project?

--
P.S. I uploaded all my changes in Android-x86 project, if somebody is interested: https://gogs.thedrhax.pw/t100ta-android

Michael Goffioul

Nov 8, 2017, 4:41:55 PM11/8/17
to andro...@googlegroups.com
HW-accelerated decoders are implemented in external/stagefright-plugins (which depends on ffmpeg, libva and vaapi).

Chih-Wei Huang

Nov 8, 2017, 10:02:21 PM11/8/17
to Android-x86
> HW-accelerated decoders are implemented in external/stagefright-plugins
> (which depends on ffmpeg, libva and vaapi).

frameworks/av also needs patches to enable
ffmpeg plugins, as well as some minor patches
in system/{core,media}.

> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Dmitry Karikh <the.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am still trying to build Android-x86 for Asus T100TAM. This time I built
>> Marshmallow with some patches and it works very good: suspend, sound,
>> brightness, bluetooth, wi-fi, accelerometer and opengapps are working mostly
>> out of the box or with some Tasker scripts.
>>
>> But it looks like marshmallow still doesn't support hardware acceleration
>> on baytrail GPUs. I know it was fixed in 7.1-rc1, but I can't use Nougat on
>> my tablet yet.
>> I tried to override hardware/intel/common/libva and

The term "hardware acceleration" is unclear.
At first I thought you meant 3D hardware acceleration
by GPU (which supports Baytrail definitely)
until you mentioned libva & vaapi.
Then I understand you actually meant
hardware accelerated decoders.

>> hardware/intel/common/vaapi with nougat-x86 branch but it didn't affect the
>> performance. I encounter frame loss on 720p60 quality, but was able to play
>> 1080p60 on Nougat.
>>
>> Is it possible to port hardware acceleration from Nougat to Marshmallow
>> without massive changes in the whole project?

Basically yes, providing you know how to add
all the necessary changes.

You may also refer to Openthos (based on android-x86 5.1)
which also has hardware accelerated decoders.

https://github.com/openthos/OTO/commits/multiwindow

>> --
>> P.S. I uploaded all my changes in Android-x86 project, if somebody is
>> interested: https://gogs.thedrhax.pw/t100ta-android

Nice. Thank you!
Could you briefly explain what patches are needed for it?

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Dmitry Karikh

Nov 9, 2017, 4:26:07 AM11/9/17
to Android-x86
> Basically yes, providing you know how to add
> all the necessary changes.

> You may also refer to Openthos (based on android-x86 5.1)
> which also has hardware accelerated decoders.

https://github.com/openthos/OTO/commits/multiwindow

Thank you! I will write a message to this thread if it works.

> Nice. Thank you!
> Could you briefly explain what patches are needed for it?

I use maurossi's kernel-4.7 (4.7 is more stable for T100TA) with some patches:
5) Accelerometer: enable CONFIG_INV_MPU6050_IIO

I'm not entirely sure about (3) and (4) but they were required on Ubuntu. I found these commits using git-bisect.

And some Tasker scripts:
1) Lid sensor fix: https://github.com/TheDrHax/t100ta-scripts/blob/android/lid/t100ta_lid.sh. It sends broadcast Intents that can be caught in Tasker.
2) "btattach -B /dev/ttyS1 -P bcm >/dev/null 2>&1 &" to enable Bluetooth
3) Three scripts to enable headphones and control speaker: (LD_LIBRARY_PATH is required in Tasker environment)

# Headphones (start at boot)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib
alsa_amixer sset 'HP L' on
alsa_amixer sset 'HP R' on
alsa_amixer sset 'HP' 10
alsa_amixer sset 'Headphone' on

# Disable speaker
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib
alsa_amixer sset 'Speaker' off

# Enable speaker
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/system/lib
alsa_amixer sset 'Speaker' on

Other changes are not that necessary:
1) bootable/newinstaller: change install directory to "marshmallow/" for fast upgrades
2) device/generic/common: add Google Play Services