Toshiba Satellite A300 Android-86 First impressions

hashirt

Jan 5, 2015, 1:44:03 AM1/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Some info
Notebook: Toshiba Satellite A300-15M
CPU: Core 2 Duo T5850
Memory: 2,048 MB
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
Wi-Fi: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Present Operating Systems: 2 (Windows and Arch)
Release: android-x86-4.4-r2.iso
Method: Via USB (prepared with LinuxLive USB Creator 2.9.1)
Partition: ext3 (4th primary, prepared with gparted live)
Installation: select partition, do not format, skip boot loader, as read/write, reboot

It was frustrating trying to get grub2 to detect android. Adding 40_custom an entry as setting root hd0,4 didnot work for me.
When I chose that entry, grub output an error like: "no such partition (or device, i may be remembering wrong here). you need to load the kernel first" After some searching, I tried using uuid and then it worked. Then added another entry for external (CRT) monitor. Had no problem. I think a how-to about grub2 would be helpful for people in similar situations. Here are my 40_custom entries if anyone is interested. However IDK if something is unnecessary, missing or wrong in these.

menuentry "Android 4.4-r2" {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set UUIDHERE
linux /android-4.4-r2/kernel quiet root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-4.4-r2
initrd /android-4.4-r2/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Android 4.4-r2 (LVDS-1:d)" {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set UUIDHERE
linux /android-4.4-r2/kernel quiet video=LVDS-1:d root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android-4.4-r2
initrd /android-4.4-r2/initrd.img
}

When you set your timezone as, lets say, GMT+2, while using android it shows you the correct time. But it does it in a weird way by setting your bios clock to gmt. If you correct it in bios, same thing all over when you reboot. Disabling both automatic date&time and automatic timezone fixed this for me. I didnot try disabling one by one so IDK which one (or if both) was responsible.

UI is very comfortable to use and responsive. Keyboard, touchpad mouse, touch media keys, camera, sd slot, speakers, volume wheel, internal microphone, headphones work.
Some of Fn keys work (partially or fully).

Fn keys-normal functions-what happens

Fn+Esc: mute/unmute -> works
Fn+F1: lock -> puts it in "instant standby"
Fn+F2: powersaver options -> doesnt respond
Fn+F3: instant standby -> works
Fn+F4: hibernation -> doesnt respond
Fn+F5: display output options -> doesnt respond
Fn+F6: reduce brightness -> works
Fn+F7: increase brightness -> works
Fn+F8: wifi and/or bluetooth on/off -> Acts like notebook's wireless on/off switch. You can put fn+f8 instead of switch in the below wifi scenarios.
Fn+F9: touchpad on/off -> doesnt respond
Fn+F10: arrowpad on/off -> works
Fn+F11: numberpad on/off -> works
Fn+Spacebar: zoom-resolution control -> doesnt respond

Turning on bluetooth didnt respond at first. After a reboot it said it is on but couldnt detect or get detected.
Then turning it off didnt respond. Kind of gave up after it. Also tested if dvd drive is working but couldnt access the dvd from file manager. Cannot give feedback about ethernet connection since ethernet port is broken.

Weird thing involving wifi.
While wifi is on (both menu and on-off switch on notebook)

turn off from menu -> turn on from menu -> connects
turn off from menu -> turn off switch -> turn on switch -> turn on from menu -> connects
turn off from menu -> turn off switch -> turn on from menu -> turn on switch -> doesnt work, had to reboot to connect
turn off switch -> turn on switch -> doesnt work, but after if you turn it off then on in the menu, it connects
turn off switch -> turn off from menu -> turn on switch -> turn on from menu -> connects
turn off switch -> turn off from menu -> turn on from menu -> turn on switch -> doesnt work, had to reboot to connect