Old laptop and Lineaage OS 14.1 r2

Maciej Malczyk

Aug 6, 2018, 6:32:14 AM8/6/18
to Android-x86
Hi.
I have some problems with Lineage OS system on one old device i try to revive.

First problem i have with mounting simultaneously two ntfs partitions. I wrote script to do this and add it to init.sh:
su -l root mount.ntfs /dev/block/sdax /sdcard/x for two partitions.
If i reboot laptop i don't have all partitions mounted everytime - sometimes all is mounted, sometimes one of this two… and it's random. But if i run init.sh by using "sh ./init.sh" all partitions are mounted.

Another problem i have with camera. Camera is an old LG Smart Cam build in laptop. It isn't launching at start of system. I tried to use "modprobe uvcvideo" but without succes.

Last problem... if i want to use DVD drive i need to do soft restart system to read DVD or CD. It is possible to create a script to automate this?

Some laptop spec's:
-LG e500 J.APCAY,
-c2d t5550,
-2gb of ram,
-ATI mobility Radeon 2400.
Message has been deleted

Maciej Malczyk

Aug 7, 2018, 6:50:41 PM8/7/18
to Android-x86
I have some updates in case of camera problems. Build-in camera is isn't detectable as a device by kernel. It isn't launching not only on Android but on other Linux distros too.
So I tried some usb devices. One old, generic usb camera and PS Eye. They are both detectable as camera devices cause Camera app is being installed by default but they both don't work. Interesting is that it is not LineageOS 14.1 x86 problem cause I booted burned Live CD with Los14.1 and PS Eye worked without problems on modern devices, for example my on Clevo N850HK and on 2-3 year old Asus device with 6-gen Intel procesor. But what is even more interesting when I boot from LiveCD Ubuntu (with 4.10 kernel) PS Eye work on LG laptop, which is main topic here, without problems.

So idk ...

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 7, 2018, 10:52:39 PM8/7/18
to Android-x86
> Hi.
> I have some problems with Lineage OS system on one old device i try to
> revive.
>
> First problem i have with mounting simultaneously two ntfs partitions. I
> wrote script to do this and add it to init.sh:
> su -l root mount.ntfs /dev/block/sdax /sdcard/x for two partitions.
> If i reboot laptop i don't have all partitions mounted everytime - sometimes
> all is mounted, sometimes one of this two… and it's random. But if i run
> init.sh by using "sh ./init.sh" all partitions are mounted.

Hard to say what the problem is.
Maybe adding some delay (sleep xxx) is helpful.

> Another problem i have with camera. Camera is an old LG Smart Cam build in
> laptop. It isn't launching at start of system. I tried to use "modprobe
> uvcvideo" but without succes.
>
> Last problem... if i want to use DVD drive i need to do soft restart system
> to read DVD or CD. It is possible to create a script to automate this?

Hmm.. Known issue.
No idea how to solve it gracefully.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project

Maciej Malczyk

Aug 8, 2018, 5:07:07 AM8/8/18
to Android-x86
So actually I fixed the HDD problem by creating only two partritions - one for system and one for data and now it works. Still I don't understand behavior of camera devices whose same system and different devices gives different results.
Message has been deleted

Maciej Malczyk

Aug 9, 2018, 7:55:14 PM8/9/18
to Android-x86
Ehh thats odd that I can get camera working on ubuntu and lubuntu on different apps but if I plug usb camera to And x86 it don't work...
I only get green screen.

Maciej Malczyk

Aug 14, 2018, 8:16:53 AM8/14/18
to Android-x86
Ok some updates. I manage to run camera but it only turn on if I run Android x86 from USB bootable stick and in debug mode. I checked uvcvideo compatibility and it my camera is compatible with this driver.
Is anyone have idea how to run camera from Android installed on HDD?

Maciej Malczyk

Aug 14, 2018, 4:03:53 PM8/14/18
to Android-x86
Hmm.. it looks like kernel don't turn on usb port (pins inside device) for camera when it is installed on HDD. Pins are powered when i boot up device form USB stick.

Chih-Wei Huang

Aug 16, 2018, 10:49:52 PM8/16/18
to Android-x86
> Ok some updates. I manage to run camera but it only turn on if I run Android x86 from USB bootable stick and in debug mode. I checked uvcvideo compatibility and it my camera is compatible with this driver.
> Is anyone have idea how to run camera from Android installed on HDD?

You may try to add EXTMOD=uvcvideo to
kernel cmdline to see if it works.