[Req] WiFi direct implementation, miracast maybe?

Midi Jari

Apr 26, 2016, 4:17:25 AM4/26/16
to Android-x86
Since 2011 and many devices are having GPU and WiFi chips capable of WiFi-direct and miracast, and still android-x86 doesn't implement it yet. If you check wpa_supplicant, it does add support for both wifi direct and wifi display, renamed as P2P support. And there has been two projects that really got my attention that use Wifi direct :

https://github.com/kensuke/How-to-Miracast-on-AOSP : enables miracast for nexus devices AND make them as sink devices (to cast to them instead of them casting)
https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast : This one is made for most Linux flavors with systemd init, it works as sink for now, the casting is still under the work.

Having Wifi Direct and sinking/casting implemented on Android-x86 would be totally amazing, buying those cheap Atom Boxes (or pentium/celeron) would do so much good by having them plugged to a normal TV and making them a powerful multimedia server with Miracast capabilities. For others (like me) having And-x86 on my Tablet would be also awesome to cast my screen as I do on windows on external TVs.

I know it isn't easy, but I think it's totally doable. Most used Wifi cards like Intel 6235 Advanced-N, AR5B195 (and AR5B95 - no BT version) and most ath9k cards support P2P, Intel 7000+ series do too, Intel 6000+ have some selected devices that support that, for realtek, ralink/mediatek and others, the latest devices do support it, but I do not have any information.

Thank you.

Thisara Kasun

Apr 26, 2016, 9:49:35 PM4/26/16
to Android-x86
This will be amazing. i was wishing that RemixOs has miracast support too.

Midi Jari

Apr 28, 2016, 2:24:11 PM4/28/16
to Android-x86
IKR? but ofc it's so hard to add it for different cards for different builds at once not like an OEM making the proper drivers and programs for one card for one device in only one rom.