How do I install Android-x86 to a dedicated ext4 partition?

Marc Barrett

Jan 22, 2020, 2:44:28 AM1/22/20
to Android-x86
In the brief installation documentation here:

For installation via the rpm file, it reads: "Except the traditional ISO files, we also package android-x86 files into a Linux package rpm. It allows Linux users to easily install the release into an existing Linux device with a standalone ext4 root partition."

But there is no explanation about how to do exactly that. If I follow the installation instructions and install the rpm file with the rpm or alien commands, by default it is installed to a directory called "android-9.0-rc1" in the system root directory. So how do I install it to a dedicated ext4 partition? I suppose that I could just create an ext4 partition and copy the contents of that directory to the partition, but then I would have to manually update grub2 accordingly, and I have to admit that I am not an expert at grub2. Anyway, having to do that defies the above description of it being done "easily".

Chih-Wei Huang

Jan 22, 2020, 2:52:20 AM1/22/20
to Android-x86
Marc Barrett <mnealb...@gmail.com> 於 2020年1月22日 週三 下午3:44寫道:
The description means your Linux distro must have
a standalone ext4 root partition.
You have installed it by one command. Isn't it easily?

If you want to move the installation to another
dedicated ext4 partition, just move the "android-9.0-rc1"
subdirectory to it. No need to update grub2 entry.

--
Chih-Wei
Android-x86 project